He Never Learns, Does He?

Tides of Virtue – Chapter 22 (Fairy Tail Fan-Fiction)

        Letting her hand drop back down to her side, the light coming from it vanished just as Natsu appeared beside her, peering at her face curiously. “What do you need help with?” he asked, his eyes wide and innocent.

        “You’re going to burn Erza,” she stated simply, leading he up onto the stage. “Then, while the stone’s hot, I’m going to break it, and Erza will be free.” Looking over at Natsu, she could see the excitement lighting up his features like a child that had just been given the pet they’d wanted for their birthday. “Don’t touch any of the other statues, though, this will only work for Titania.”

        He looked over at Serenity curiously. “How’s that?”

        Raising up a hand, she pointed to her eye. “Erza possesses an artificial eye created by magic,” the Water Dragon Slayer explained. “If my guess is correct, it should have absorbed some of Evergreen’s Stone Eyes spell.”

        Eyes widening, Natsu’s mouth fell open. “You have an artificial eye?! Why didn’t you tell me before, Serenity?”

        Face-palming, she smack him upside the head in an irate manner. “Not me, you dummy!” she exclaimed, sighing heavily. “Erza!” Huffing, she looked up at him. “Just do what I told you to, but don’t do anything too extreme, okay?”

        Sending her a wink and a thumbs-up, Natsu positioned himself in front of the statue of Erza, before throwing his arm out before him and summoning flames around the still form of their friend like she was a log on a fire. Counting the seconds that flew by, Serenity tapped her foot impatiently as she waited for the stone to heat up, and when it did, she signaled for the pink-haired Dragon Slayer to stop, before sauntering up to the steaming statue and poking at the warrior’s forehead, creating a small crack, which quickly grew bigger, forming a web-like pattern over the smooth stone.

Poking at the statue once more, there was a loud ‘poof’ and dust spiraled up around Serenity, obscuring her vision. When it cleared, their scarlet-haired warrior was standing before her, dressed in a skimpy-looking maid’s outfit, and she was very much alive, glaring at Serenity with hard-eyes.

“Did you just instruct Natsu to burn me?!” she exclaimed, glaring at the pink-haired boy, before turning her gaze back on Serenity. “How’d you know it would even work?”

Shrugging, the Water Dragon Slayer crossed her arms across her chest. “I’m smart, that’s why,” she stated simply. “How’d you know I was the one that told him to?”

“I was able to hear everything that was going on.”

“Then you know of the dire situation that we’re in,” Serenity said sadly. “I’m guessing if you beat Evergreen, the spell on the others will drop…maybe. It’s my best guess at the moment, so Erza.” Turning to the warrior, the blonde-haired girl grew serious. “I’m not trying to be bossy, but you’re the only one who can get out of here; the rest of us are stuck, and.” Glancing at the count of remaining competitors, Serenity’s heart fell. Four. That means… “You’re our last hope, Erza. So, go. Now.” 

Nodding, the scarlet-haired warrior ran forward, past everyone, and out the looming doors of the guild and into the battle awaiting her outside. Sighing as Erza disappeared from her line-of-sight, Serenity turned toward the others. “I have a plan,” she stated. “A stupid plan, and it may or may not work, but it’s a plan, and it’s the best we have at the moment.” She turned toward Gajeel. “I need your help.”