Chapter Forty

"I am so fucking in love with you."

It took me a couple seconds to process what Harry had just said to me. A smile spread across my face, my cheeks immediately flushing red. My heart sped up, and I couldn't keep myself from letting out a long, relieved breath. "I love you too, Harry. So much."

Harry bit his lip, a smile as big as mine forming on his face. "I was so afraid I would never get to hear you say that."

"I wouldn't die without saying it first," I let out a laugh. Harry chuckled, but his face went serious again. 

"I'm so sorry, Niall. About all of this. I wish I could've taken the shot for you." Harry let out a deep breath, sucking on his bottom lip. 

"Don't say that. I kind of feel stronger now, you know?" I said. "Like, if I could rewind it and get shot again, I would."

"I still feel really bad," Harry sat up to run his free hand through his hair. "Horribly bad."

"You don't need to, babe." I reassured, grabbing his hand. He scooted closer on the hospital bed, softly placing his soft lips on mine. I let my eyelids flutter closed, the same electric feeling I always got started running throughout my body. I quickly pulled back, resting my forehead against his. "Harry," I whispered. 

"Hm?" he hummed. 

"Remember when I said if I could rewind it, I'd get shot again?" 

"Yeah?"

"I lied. I'd never do that again."

Harry let out a loud laugh, skin crinkling by his eyes. His dimples were so deep it was like you could raise a family of eight in them. I watched in awe as his face lit up like the sun, pulling back from my face to continue laughing. 

"Harry," I said again. He calmed his laugh down, looking at me questioningly. "I love you."

A bright blush formed on Harry's cheeks, his dimples popping up again as he stared at his hand with a smile. "You have no idea how amazing if feels to hear that. From anyone."

"Well get used to it," I said, reaching forward to intertwine my fingers with his. "I love you, Harry."

"I love you too, Niall," Harry whispered. 

My heart fluttered, a warm tingly feeling rushed through my body. The feelings inside me towards Harry were so strong, it was almost hard to comprehend. 

Harry locked eyes with me, the jade of his irises seeming to pop underneath the bright lighting of the hospital room. 

His tongue swiped over his lips, making them look even more pink. My lips tingled with the sensation to press themselves against his. "You're so beautiful," he said.

I giggled. "Beautiful?"

"I know it's a girly word, but that's what you are. You're so beautiful that it's breathtaking, and I can never stop staring at you. You're more beautiful than all the stars in the galaxy, and more beautiful than the flowers that grow in spring. If anyone says otherwise, I'll fuck them up. I'll rip off their pinky finger and shove it up their asshole."

I was beginning to tear up. "Jesus, Harry," I breathed. "How do you go from sweet to protective so fast?"

"You do lots of unexplainable things to me," Harry whispered, leaning in again. 

He used his free hand to prop himself up as his face inched closer to mine, his breath fanning out across my face and leaving me in shivers. I let my eyelids close, trying my best not to smile like an idiot as Harry's soft lips pressed against mine once more.