Game Day

Alex's POV
"Hey you ready for the game today?" I smiled at Brooklyn, but she just stood there and stared at me blankly.

"BROOKLYN." Sam shoved her friend's shoulder and she blinked a few times and looked around.

"Are you okay?" I let out a light giggle and she nodded. "I'm just nervous I guess."

"Don't worry you'll do great." I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her in. She unconsciously just stood there.

"Don't worry she's always just like this on game day." Sam told me and gave me a small comforting smile.

We got in the bus and I chose to sit next to Brooklyn. She put her beats on and looked forward. She didn't look at anyone the whole ride. She never touched her phone. Half the time her eyes were closed. I guess that's normal for some players, but it bothered me to see her like this.

It's probably just the mom in me. I know I haven't been there for the past fifteen years, but I still have the odd senses of a mom. It just came naturally to me.

I continued to stay as close to her at most as possible. It just bothered me not to see her excited or showing any emotion. I was hoping that she would be really excited to play. I'm excited to play with her.

I don't care how good she is. How many mothers and daughters get to say they played for their national team at the same time. Only one other me and her.

Except no one knows about either really. I say that I don't care, but I have a feeling Sam and Brooklyn are gonna surpirse everyone.

"You're definitely quieter than usual. What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing...just getting in game mode you know."

"You're joking right? Alex...it's Mexico. Mexico Alex...there's literally no threat for us. It's just a practice game so what's up?"

I gave Kelley a small shrug and looked away, but I knew she would just keep pushing.

"Bulllllshit. Alex just tell me. Does it have to do with..."

"Yea. I'm just...I'll tell you later...after I tell her."

"You're telling her after the game?"

"Yea...I have to."

"Why?"

"Later, okay?"

"Yea sure. Just focus on the game right now. Get a goal or two okay Al?"

"Yea sure." I nodded and turned my view back to who I've been thinking about all day. I'm coming obsessed with her.

Brooklyn is all I think about. It's not like that is a terrible thing, but being a professional athlete uses a lot of focus. She has it and she's taking mine.

"I can tell you're worried about later."

"That obviously huh?" I asked Christen sarcastically and she let out a light laugh.

"You'll be fine."

"Yea, but like will she?"

"Alex everything will go great. I promise. The way she looks at you gives so much away."

"I just hope she accepts me. I don't want things to go bad. If it does then I'll just regret telling her, but either way she'll probably find out because her dad."

"You seem like you need a hug...that's all I have to offer right now."

"I could really use a hug Press."

She gave me a warm smile and wrapped her arms around me. It gave me a warm feeling and seemed to cloud out the worry at the moment which is just what I needed.

"That hug literally helped so much thanks Chris."

"No problem Alex. Now get out there and score."

"Wow now does everyone depend on me to do all the scoring?"

"You've just become so good at it."

"Hmm I don't know. The team gives me a lot of chances."

"Hey if Sam's hype for Brooklyn is real then you better work harder or she'll out shine you."

"Wait what?"

"Good luck Alex!"

Christen disappeared out of the locker room quickly after this. I shook my head and grabbed my cleats.

Okay it'll be tough enough to tell her that I'm her mom, but it's even worse if she out plays me today. If I'm worse than her or she's better whatever I'll be so...proud but mad at the same time! That's a tough decision of emotion.

"Ready for the game?" I turned around and saw the young blue eyes piercing into mine.
"Yea I am, you?"

"I guess...any tips? Like for my first game?"

I smiled and bent down to a few inches. I couldn't keep my smile from showing through.

"Go play the way you want to. Don't be afraid to try a trick. Don't be afraid to fall. Don't be afraid of anything. I'll be there on the field with you. I promise I won't let a thing happen to you, okay?"

She smiled back and threw her arms around my neck. "Thanks Alex."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright guys we didn't have to Flex on Mexico that hard! 9-0 is insane! Congrats to everyone who scored."

Kelley's comment made us all laugh, but she was right. I scored three goals. Brooklyn scored two. Christen scored one. Mallory scored two. Sam scored one.

It was an insane game. "Hey Sam, you did amazing." I patted her shoulder as she passed by and she gave me a genuine smile, which seemed a little rare for her.

"Alex! Congrats on the hat!" Mallory through herself into my arms and I couldn't help, but smile.

"Thanks Mal, congrats on your brace kid."

She ran over to Christen and I chuckled as I watched her run away. I felt my arm get pushed up and I instantly became even happier when I realized who hugged me.

"Thanks for the advice." She rested her head against my chest and a small smile rested on her face.

"You did absolutely amazing. I'm so so so proud of you. I thought you were gonna have more goals than me for a second, but...why did you pass the ball?"

"I wanted to be able to say I assisted a goal of Alex Morgan." Wow. I closed my eyes and pulled her into my body tighter.

She wanted to assist Alex Morgan. As amazing as that sound I would have much rather it been my mom.

Check out Arcane!