Where is Home?

Alex's POV

"So she doesn't actually want to go home with you?" I shook my head as I wiped a few tears away. Christen rubbed my arm as I laid my head on her lap.

"She doesn't think it's a good idea. I should have found her sooner. She said that since she's already 15 that she would be out of the house in three years to go to college anyways. I just don't get it."

"I know Alex...it's a tough situation, but if she wants to stay with her current family than you can't take her away from them."

"She's mine though."

"She's their kid now too. They've had her longer than you Alex. I know that's hard to hear, but it's true. Brooklyn seems to really like them and it's not like you're never gonna see her again. I know that she's going to come to you every chance she gets. She's part of the team now too, so you'll see her during camps."

"Yeah, like that's enough. I want time with her when I don't have to worry about anything else. I want to spend time with her when it's just the two of us sitting around. I don't want to watch her get on any plane, but mine and now I have to and it really sucks Chris. I just got her back."

"I know Alex...you'll be strong though, I know you will. If you need to, come visit me in Utah. Stay a night or too until you're feeling better."

I looked up at the green eyes above me and smiled. Who knew such a tragic thing could bring such wonderful moments.

"What about Sam?"

"What about her?"

"Is she going home with you?"

Christen gave a small nod and I groaned. "Sam hates Texas. Brooklyn doesn't they're two different people you and I both have to understand that."

"I would expected Sam to actually not want to go with you honestly."

"Why is that?"

I let out a sigh and shook my head. I should have told her this sooner. "Sam knew for a really long time that you were her mom and she knew since the first game that I was Brooklyn's. I just didn't know that she would change and be so nice."

"She is my kid after all it's in her genes to be nice...just like Brooklyn is your kid. It's in her genes to be independent and strong, but always there for people when they really need you."

"Thanks Christen." I raised my head from her lap and sat up. We both just sat there silent for a few minutes. I couldn't keep my mind off any of them. The feelings I had for Christen swarmed my thoughts. The desire to be with Brooklyn pained me and the curiosity I had for Sam seemed to grow more and more each day.

"Should we talk about us at all?" Christen broke me out of my trance. I blinked a few times before giving her a confused look.

"Us?"

"Nevermind..."

"No. What do you mean?"

"Alex...I feel something for you and I thought you did too, but I'm probably wrong."

"No, I do like you and you've been in my thoughts alot too lately. I can just barely function under all this stress. I do like you though...don't lose hope on that okay?"

"Okay." She quickly kissed my cheek and a deep red covered my face. "I should go tell Sam and Brooklyn that it's time for bed."

Christen slowly walked out of the room. As soon as the door hit I let out a deep breath I held in. "Wow."

They leave in two days. I have two days left with her until she leaves me again. Despite her only knowing a few days I have been so happy. I'm her mom again...sort of.