Hormones

Two shadowy figures stood close together just beyond a frosted glass partition. One tall, muscular, and male. One much shorter and clearly a woman. Their voices were just low enough not to be heard beyond the private space and out in the busy New York City restaurant.

"You better do the right thing. I'm trusting you with family business. So don't screw this up either." The woman warned haughtily. She was a quick tempered woman with very little patience. Beautiful as she was, she constantly wore her anger on her face.

"Don't worry shawty. I got it." The man replied nonchalantly. He was a jokester and loved to get under her skin. He licked his lips, his dark wandering eyes dropping to admire her round hips. "Now to more important things..."

"Boy stick them googlie eyes back up in your head. I'm too old for you." She snapped.

"I love all women... all ages, colors, shapes and sizes, baby. But I've always been particular to a well-matured woman. And you are definitely a well-matured woman." He smacked his lips now eyeing her plump backside.

She narrowed her eyes, not sure if that was a compliment or a dig. Then the woman pointed her finger in his face and commanded firmly. "Concentrate fool."

The man shrugged and then acquiesced his flirting to her seriousness. "Yep. I hear yah."

"Odell needs to hear those recordings that I just handed you. And make sure he understands every word I just told you too. Word for word."

"Well he don't like me much but I have my ways. I'll get through to him." The man grinned down at her.

"I mean it. Don't screw this shit up!"

"Like I said. Don't worry Ma. You've left it all in good hands. I got this."

-------------------

We found out we were having a boy as the Browns started the 2023 season.

As my belly grew rounder, I realized pretty soon I was going to be someone's mother and I was beginning to freak the fuck out!  I also began to miss having my own mother in my life.  Though I still sent money which was received and not sent back, it had been almost two years since I spoke to Leslie or had any contact with Tyler. Soon after our fight, she moved herself and Tyler back to Atlanta. I was missing important years with my little brother. He was now fourteen and was about to go to high school.  I had only been able to keep up with him through social media, but he was making good grades and playing wide receiver on his football team.  And I was missing everything... all his awards, his games, his first dance and his first date.  That made me so sad.

Odell constantly shared his people, reminding me, his and mine were one and the same now.  But it really wasn't the same. And I was terrified about becoming a mother when I had such a horrible relationship with my own mother. I thought about calling her several times.  To tell her I was married and pregnant now.  That I wanted my child to grow up with my side of the family too.  I wanted her and Tyler to know my child.   But then I figured the news was everywhere by now, and if she cared at all, she would have reached out to me.

Between the harsh criticism that the media and fans were throwing Odell's way for my flippant statements, his refusal to allow me to apologize or take responsibility for anything, and my emotional breakdowns every time I realized I had no one on my side of our family, we were continually having to talk each other down off the preverbal ledge. But the impending arrival of our baby was able to keep us somewhat grounded.  We could not become completely self absorbed with our own issues, not with a little one coming who needed both of us so much.  I sometimes woke up to Odell whispering to my stomach in the early mornings. Coaching our baby on all that he would need to know once he entered this world.  He thought I was still asleep but I heard everything he said to our son.   It made me realize how correct my choice was to have this man's child.