Beautiful Danger

********

I am now out of breath. My breathing is heavy and sweat is pouring down my face. My legs are numb now yet they still ran. I dare not look back at the ignited form behind me. Come back! It yelled. It had the voice of a male, all the more frightening to me. The tunnel went on and on and I am now beginning to think there is no end to it. Tears streamed down my cheeks. The last bit of hope in me starting to dim, I stopped abruptly. The air in my chest is now cold, I fear my lungs are going to give up on me any minute now. The tunnel was a dark hell except when the light approaches. And it was coming. "Don't stop," a voice in my head whispered. "Hope," it spoke again. This time, it was clearer. It sounded like a little girl. There was no time to reply or wonder. I bit my lips, and got down on all fours. It was the only other way I could keep going without falling. The rocks beneath me cut my flesh but I kept going as fast as I could. I could see the opening of the tunnel but at that moment, reaching it would be a miracle. It was miles away, I could only see the light shining through and that was it.

The ignited form behind me was approaching fast, casting a shadow before me which I assume is my own. It's not too far from me now. Every inch of me wanted to give into the fatigue that was creeping up my body. I wanted to stop but couldn't. Fear was my drive, and so I reminded myself of how it suffocated me and kept running. Too overwhelmed with fear, I guess I might have blacked out once or twice but when my mind cleared, I was still crawling as fast as I could. I tried to fasten my pace. By this time, I was light headed, I could feel the last of my energy being fuelled to my body. The light is now at my feet. "Let me in," it demanded. My throat tightened even more. This is it. I am going to die, I readied myself. I stopped crawling and sat upright, hugging my knees to my chest. I find it provided the comfort I was desperate for.

The figure now stands before me. Its radiance was so powerful, it blinded me. Lean back! Again the little voice in my head whispered. I had no time to question. I did exactly what it demanded. Perhaps it was too dark, I didn't notice but my body came into contact with a sort of liquid. It felt like a pool of water. As I dipped myself in it, I started to feel the life start up inside me. And so, I pushed myself lower until my whole body was below the surface. It felt great but the voice of the light was still audible, faint but audible. Blood, stop! You belong with –