Bethany Bas

"Now remember darling, if ever you should come to require a need, which is not likely" – before my mother could finish I monotonously recited what has become her way of saying farewell, "call me immediately." She cupped either side of my face, "Promise me Opal, promise me you will take good care of yourself," My throat felt tight. I let her pull me into a hug which my father turned into a bear hug, hugging the both of us from behind.

My parents left on a Friday morning, so the whole of my weekend was spent idle in bed. If it weren't for my cousin Bethany Bas, Bebe for short – who came by uninvited, my parents would have arrived at a frightening scene. Bebe dropped by around seven on Tuesday. She's the type of person who seizes every opportunity she sees. In this case, my parent's absence. They are not too fond of her what with her reputation of being a 'Party princess'. For this reason, she only visits when my parents weren't home.

"Seriously?" Her first word as she flung my door open. So much for manners. "Get up, you can't stay in bed forever," she pulled the sheets off my bed. "Go away," I attempted to pull the cover over my head only to find it thrown on the floor. "What is your damage? Can't a girl get some rest?" I sat up too quickly my mind went blank for a moment. Mock gracefully, she walked across the room towards the wooden hanger, grabbed my towel and threw it in my face, "Ouch!" She deliberately aimed for my face, "The average adult needs six to eight hours of sleep. You slept through the weekend, Lia!" I knew she had a point, I just didn't like hearing it from her. Especially because she's younger. "Remind me to file a restraining order for you," I growled, stumbling on the bed cover as I make my way to the washroom. "No need for that. The sight of your hair alone would keep me at a distance." She shot back over her shoulder as she set aside an outfit she sees fit for me to wear.

"Where am I going looking like this?" I pulled my hair into a bun. Half an hour after arguing over which outfit to wear, I sat shotgun in Bebe's Jeep wearing a dark blue off shoulder blouse, one much too revealing. Its neckline was a bit low but it had a plaided belt around its waist that made it look quite classy. I had on a pair of cream coloured shorts that were a few inches above the knee, and sandals for footwear. Apparently, this was the outfit Bebe declared fit for the occasion which I have absolutely no idea of. I am definitely filing a restraining order. "You ask too many questions, you know that?" I turned my head sharply to face her. Maybe too quickly, I thought I heard my neck snap. I rubbed my neck, "Normally, I wouldn't but given the circumstances," I made a swift motion over my body taking in my outfit, "I have the right." She forcefully stepped on the fuel peddle causing the car to zoom pass the gate. By this time, the wind coming in was almost violent due to the speed level we were driving at. She had to yell, "it's nine thirty on a Tuesday. Where the hell do you think you're going?" Is she serious? I couldn't tell. I arched an eyebrow, daring her to read my mind. A menace smile showed on her face, "it's a wonder why we're even in Kini street, huh?"

Kini street is that one street away from - "God help me," I whispered a prayer, "I'm going to school."