Kenneth and the Queen- Chapter 2

                Ashley was dressed in her cheerleading uniform with her hair up and too much glitter. She looked like disco ball. I didn’t say anything but when Jerrick hopped in the car and saw how sparkly she was he compared her to a disco ball. She didn’t hesitate to punch him in the arm.

                “Gosh, Ash.” Jerrick complained as he rubbed his arm. “I was just kidding.”

                “Sure.” She said still unhappy with him. I think she was nervous about some dance they were performing tonight at halftime.

                We arrived at Lakeview’s stadium and Ashley went to join her people. Jerrick and I paid admission and found seats in the bleachers. “What was the point of coming to the game again?” I asked in a bored tone.

                “There wasn’t one.”

                “Then why am I here?” I asked slightly annoyed.

                “I was bored at home.”

                “Why am I friends with you again?” I asked.

                “Because I am the most awesome person ever.”

                “Yeah that makes sense.” I scoffed.

                I watched the game in boredom and listened to the chatter around me. The game finally ended and I was more thankful than anyone could imagine. I did not like football at all. I liked the people who played football even less.

                “To the party!” Jerrick yelled.

                We walked to my car and began the journey to tonight’s house party. Jerrick was dictating where we went since I had no clue in the world where this party was.

                “Take a right. The third house on the left.” I didn’t need to know though. I could hear the music blasting already and most guests probably haven’t even arrived yet. We waited in the car as several people arrived and went in. After we had watched a good amount of people go in we exited the car to go to the house.

I had no clue who lived here but it was a nice house. The outside was large and looked new. The inside had nice furniture that was pushed haphazardly off of the dance floor and an amazing home theater and speaker system. The bass was turned up so loud that it seemed like an earthquake was in progress.

“I’m going to go socialize. See ya later.” Jerrick informed me.

“Yeah, sure.” I muttered as he walked off. He seemed eager to leave his best friend. I began feeling awkward just standing there at the edge of the dance floor. I decided I’d find a safe place to retreat to for the remainder of the evening.

The kitchen was empty except for the occasional passerby who needed a drink. I sat at the bar on a stool and played with my phone for a while. I hoped my mom was having fun. She deserved it. Being a single mother was a hard job.

I turned around to people watch since the kitchen was mostly open to the living room, which served as the dance floor. There were a lot of people here that I didn’t know personally but then again I wasn’t a friendly guy.

There were a lot of people here and still many people coming in the front door. Mostly football players and cheerleaders were arriving now. As I was watching the people walk in I noticed a girl I had never seen before with two cheerleaders from school. I knew almost everyone’s name here—even if I didn’t know the people the names belonged to.