Kenneth and the Queen- Chapter 6

Kenneth and the Queen-Chapter 6

                Bridgett invited me to stay for dinner and I tried to decline since she was probably just being polite but Christine said if I didn’t stay that she would force feed me green gummy bears. When I told her I didn’t like any kind of green gummy she flipped out. “How can you not like them? They are all so good!” she had claimed. And apparently it was going to be bears to remind me that I am a teddy bear.

                So I stayed for dinner.

                Christine was freaking out about wearing rented shoes and went to shower before dinner. “I can feel the germs just threatening to make me sick!” she had exclaimed.

                I turned to Bridgett who was making dinner. “I didn’t know she was a germaphobe.” I commented.

                “She isn’t. She just doesn’t want to get sick before her pageant tomorrow.” Bridgett explained. That made sense. “So, Kenneth, between you and me, why did you get in a fight with that guy?”

                “Because he’s a judgmental traitor.”

                “Fair enough.” She said. “You know I am so happy that Christine has you, Kenneth. She was so worried about coming to a new school. She didn’t have good friends at her old school but now she has a really good friend in you. She’s very quirky as I’m sure you’ve noticed.”

                “I have.” I confirmed.

                “Some people just can’t put up with her. They don’t know how to handle her. But that’s the thing. You can’t handle Christine. She’s going to be who she is and do what she wants.” I nodded. That was a good way to put it. “I just never guessed it would be someone so quiet who gets her. But maybe that’s how it’s meant to be. You know, opposites attract, and all that. You balance each other out. You know what I mean?”

                “I do.” I said.

                “And she acts different around you sometimes. Not different as in unlike herself. More like a new side being uncovered. Yet another part of the person that is Christine.”

                “What do you mean?” I asked.

                “Here’s an example. On the way out to the car she wouldn’t let go of you after the fight. And she wouldn’t stop asking if you were okay. And she was quiet. More timid than usual after she saw that you were possibly in danger. Now I’m not saying that Christine is usually uncaring or insensitive but she was overly worried for you. And it was obvious that you weren’t hurt. I’ve never seen that in her before. She had nothing to worry about but she was worried anyways.”

                “Why would she be worried if it were so obvious that I was okay?” I asked. I didn’t know if it was rhetorical or not but Bridgett stepped in to answer.

                “Because she cares, Kenneth. She cares about you. You’re her best friend. She’d be heartbroken if something bad happened to you.” I looked up at Bridgett.

                “It’s the same for me, too, you know. She’s my best friend. I don’t want anything bad to happen to her.” I admitted.

                Bridgett smiled at me. She continued cooking and didn’t say another word. But she smiled. She smiled all through dinner and was still smiling when I left to go home.