Kenneth and the Queen- Chapter 5

Kenneth and the Queen-Chapter 5

                I felt like second period would never end. It was only because I had third period with Christine that it seemed that way though. I hated art. I was no good at drawing, painting, or sculpting. It was a bit embarrassing actually.

                When the bell finally decided to ring I stored my books in my locker and went off to art with a more positive attitude than normal. At least I wouldn’t be alone while I ruined pieces of paper, canvas, and clay. Christine was already there. She was standing around probably wondering where to sit. She spotted me as I walked in the classroom and immediately came over.

                “Are there assigned seats?” she asked. I shook my head no so she just followed me and sat at the same table I did.

                Mrs. Carlton came in to the classroom after the tardy bell rang. “Good morning, class. Today we will be working on our painting skills. There are three topics on the board. Choose one; sketch it with a pencil, and then paint. Coloring does not have to be accurate and it, by no means, has to be perfect. You know where the supplies are so let’s get to work.”

                Mrs. Carlton was one of the better teachers. She was usually nice and in a good mood. She understood that not everyone was an artist.

                I got supplies for Christine and myself and we started by choosing what to paint. “So if my choices are fruit, animals, and plants,” Christine said pondering aloud. “I’m going with animals.”

                “Why animals?” I asked.

                “Fruit is boring and I’m allergic to plants.” She stated.

                “All plants?” I asked surprised.

                “A lot of the ones in this area.”

                “I see. So what animal?”

                “A dinosaur.” She said confidently.

                “A dinosaur?”

                “A dinosaur.” She confirmed. “What are you doing?”

                I thought about it. “Definitely not fruit. Plants are girly. I’m going with animals, too.”

                “As long as it’s not a dinosaur, you have my blessing.”

                “I was thinking an ostrich.” I joked.

                “Really?” she asked skeptically.