Kenneth and the Queen- Chapter 11

                Seeing Christine the next morning tore me apart. It was probably one of the worst moments in my life. Christine just didn’t seem like the same person when she was so depressed. I didn’t blame her though. The situation she was going into was definitely not a walk in the park.

                Bridgett wasn’t allowed near Christine’s father and Clay was a wild card when it came to Christine’s welfare so we decided that it was best that I take her. It also gave us a little more time to be together. We held hands the entire drive there. I didn’t want to let go. Letting go would feel like I was losing her.

                Her father was out front when we arrived. It was overcast outside but not raining. We didn’t get out of the car right away and her father didn’t try to approach us. He stood where he was and we sat locked in my car in the driveway.

                Christine didn’t look up. I could see how afraid she was and we were still in the car. I was still there with her and she was shaking from fear.

                “Kenneth, I don’t think I can do this.” She whispered. She had brought her knees up to her chest and had hidden her face. I unbuckled our seatbelts and moved next to her. If this was any other person I probably would have patted them on the back awkwardly, but this was Christine. I loved Christine and being with her was so easy now that I knew that we were meant to be together.

                “Christine.” She raised her head the tiniest bit and I moved her hair out of her face. “You are the strongest and most independent person I know. If anyone can make it through this it’s you, Christine. You have to do this. Think about Bridgett and Clay. Don’t you want to get back to them eventually?”

                “Of course.”

                “Think about everything that you have waiting for you beyond this place. After this is over you can get back to all of it.”

                “So you’re saying that after this is over we can be together?” she asked.

                “No. I’m saying everything else will be there. I won’t be waiting for you.”

                She cut me off. “What do you mean?” her voice broke. She misunderstood.

                “Let me finish.” I said quickly. “By that, I mean that I won’t be waiting because I’ll be with you the entire time. As long as you need me I’ll come for you. I’m just a phone call away.”

                Christine was in my arms not two seconds after that. “I’m going to miss you so much.” She said through her tears.

                “I’ll try to come around.” I told her.

                “Just be careful when you do. If something happened to you because you came to see me I would never forgive myself.”

                “I will. You be careful, too. And don’t forget.” I reminded her.

                She looked up into my eyes. Her cheeks were stained from her tears and her eyes were red from where she had been crying so much lately. But last night was the last time I told her so of course she hadn’t forgotten. “You love me.” She stated.

                “Yes, I do. And I will love you until the end of time.”

                “I love you, too, Kenny.” We shared a quick kiss then finally exited the car. I got out first and then helped Christine out. As we walked to her father I took her hand to reassure her that she was safe with me.