Kenneth and the Queen- Chapter 9

                “What is the weirdest combination of food you have ever eaten and enjoyed?” Christine asked. I pushed her higher on the swing.      

                “I’d say popcorn and cake icing.”

                “I need to try that.” Christine said. “We can make a cake and cook popcorn one day. Sound good?”

                “Yeah. Now what about you? Weirdest food combination.”

                She thought about it for a moment. “Nacho cheese chips dipped in cream cheese.”

                “I figured it would be something worse but now that I think about it that sounds disgusting.” I said.

                “I’ll bring some when we bake the cake. I promise you won’t regret trying it.”

                “My turn. Have you ever been on a plane?” I asked.

                “No. But I have always wanted to go somewhere on a plane.” She admitted.

                “I haven’t been on one either.”

                “We will have to plan a trip then. Or we could just buy round trip tickets and fly somewhere then fly immediately back.”

                “Who would do that?”

                “Me!” she yelled. “Actually us. I’m not going alone. If I go down I’m taking you with me!”

                “As long as I get the window seat.”

                “But I want the window seat!” she whined.

                “Fine. You can have it.” I sighed. There was no winning with this girl.

                “Yay! Okay back to questions. Would you rather be attacked by a bear or a swarm of bees?”

                I had to think about it. “The bear.”

                “Why?” she asked.

                “It seems like it would be a quicker death.”

                “Really? I would think the bees would be a quicker death. But I guess it depends on how many sink there stingers into you.” She reasoned. “Your turn.”

                “Pass.”

                “I’ll go again then.” she thought for a moment. “Have you ever had a girlfriend?”

                “No.” I said simply.

                “What about a boyfriend?” she asked. The look on my face must have been pretty crazy because she busted out laughing and fell off the swing. She was rolling around on the ground laughing. “You’re face! Priceless!”

                “What did it look like?” I asked.

                “A mix between what have you been smoking and you are insane.”

                “Good to know.” I said. “Have you ever had a boyfriend?” I asked.

                “Maybe in elementary school. But that doesn’t count.” She admitted. She laid flat on her back on the ground and I fell down beside her looking up at the stars. “Have you ever kissed a girl?”

                I didn’t want to answer so I distracted her by pointing out constellations. She was so pretty. I bet she had had tons of guys dating her and kissing her even if they never were a boyfriend to her. Whereas I was a seventeen year old guy and I had never been on a date! Luckily, she didn’t bring it back up.

                We stayed there for hours. Lying on the ground in the city park looking at the stars and pointing out shapes and patterns. I decided that life couldn’t get much better than it was in that moment. I was content and Christine seemed happy so as far as I was concerned, all was right in the world.

                But life can change quickly and everything can fall apart.