Chapter One

"Foster! Get out of bed now!" I hear my evil caretaker, Claudia, yells from downstairs. I groan and mutter words at her under my breath. "If you don't get down here this instant I'll come up there myself!"

I shot straight up and jumped out of bed. "Coming Miss Morton!"

I run downstairs and she yells at me to get my chores done. I sigh, you would think this was just another Annie stories but I've seen Annie I wish this was another Annie story. There was no singing or a billionaire.

Yes, the sun will come out tomorrow but that just means another day in this place. I sighed and grabbed my cleaning bucket and head to the main bathroom and start scrubbing the floor.

"Someone out there cares about you, Foster. Just you wait." My old caretaker Miss Carey smiles brushing my hair.

"Why can't you adopt me, Miss Carey?"

Back then I was too young to realize that when Miss Carey was replaced my Miss Morton, she ha become greatly ill and died in her bed.

I went to move on to the stalls when a small pair of feet comes rushing toward me.

"Hey, sweetie belle! Aren't you supposed to be cleaning?" I say to nine year old, Selena.

"I just heard Miss Morton talking about a lady wanting to adopt one of us!"

"It won't be me."

"Come on you've got to look your best!" She pushes ignoring my last words she pulls on my arm until I reluctantly get up and look in the mirror. I could do much but wash my face and brush my long brown hair.

None of us kids gets new clothes just rags Miss Morton finds in the donation boxes.

"Children! Come down dears!" Miss Morton calls sweetly. I sighed as I let Selena pull down stairs eagerly.

We get into our age groups and stand up straight. We look in awe at the lovely lady smiling sweetly. She was tall and beautiful with wavy blonde hair. She had on a white mid thigh dress on and she looked in her early twenties.

"Children, this Mrs. Blanche."

"Hello, Mrs. Blanche." We said in unison.

I prayed deeply that she wouldn't choose me. I wanted her to chose Selena.

Selena had the same growing up as I did. She was left on the steps of Saint Mathis when she was a year old. She's nine years old and already had three foster families give her back. Ever since I met her I kept her close to me and loved her like she was my sister. She was my sweetie belle.

"Hello, dear. What's your name?" I see the woman talking to Selena. "Hello ma'am. My name is Selena and I am nine years old."

"How would you like to spend a few hours with me?"

"I-" Selena hesitates and looks back at me. I smile and whispered for her to go on. "I'd love to." She takes the woman's hand and they walk into Miss Morton's office.

I watched Selena get into the black shiny car Mrs. Blanche must have rode in.

Feeling alone I go back to work until it was time for dinner. Selena meant the world to me and she was my sunshine. Without her I felt like a storm inside.

Miss Morton made me and two others stay after to clean the kitchen and I had to do the dishes which there were thousands of!

Two hours later I finally made it to my bed an fell asleep instantly.

***

"Foster! Get up! Someone is on their way to talk to you!"