Addition or Subtraction?

(Month after Heather O'Reilly's last game)
Subtraction. It's never a good thing. I'm not talking about math. I'm talking about losing something or someone. Maybe you love this thing or maybe you don't, but still, without the presence of it, you just don't feel right.
A month ago, Heather's last game. A month ago, Hope Solo's suspension.
The team had lost so much talent that they could never fully regain.
The team hadn't been the same. Tobin and Alex have now had to step up and lead the team, along with their fellow veterans. Oh and veterans? It's not the usual Abby Wambach or Christie Rampone. It's Carli, Becky, Alex, Kelley, Tobin, Pinoe, and a few more.
And the truth is, they're not old, they're not veterans.
But the team has plowed on, fighting for the win. The NWSL season is now over and everyone gets to take a break.
Kelley now gets to spend time with her suspended girlfriend, Hope. Ali and Ashlynn get to go home to their baby, Hannah. Everyone goes back to something.
Alex and Tobin are married. They've been together for 2 years. But they're with each other all the time and they're sad that they don't get to go home to something. Ya know, coming home and having a little kid run into your arms or a dog jumping all over you. They have none of that.
But that was about to change. Since the end of the NWSL season is coming, the couple planned a big surprise.
Yes addition. The one thing that regains subtraction. The one thing that makes you feel better again.
The couple has always talked about conceiving a child, but they didn't know how, when, and who. Alex has stepped up to conceive the child, since the Thorns are doing really well. Tobin has accepted this and takes full responsibility for taking care of Alex and the new little one.
Before they knew it, Alex is pregnant. They were so happy! They had prayed and sacrificed so much to make this happen and now finally it paid off.
Flash forward to the NWSL championship.
WASv.POR
"Tobin Heath running up the right flank here....." The commentator says.
"....oh she's running for goal. Can she do it?!"
Tobin immediately nutmegs a Washington player and kicks the ball into the back of the net.
"Goal!!!!!!!!! Tobin Heath using her wizardry to score a goal in the NWSL championship! What's better than that?!"
Tobin runs into the right corner of the field, facing the crowd. She puts her hands in the air as her teammates hug her. She starts to run back field and throws a kiss to Alex in the stands, who is two months pregnant.
The Thorns win 2-0. Yes they've won the championship. Tobin collapses onto the ground, pumping her fists. Her teammates tackle their captain. Alex is smiling ear to ear, wishing she could be on that field, but she knew what she was doing, is something much greater.
After the game, Tobin is interviewed by one person before she could celebrate with her family.
"Hi Tobin, congratulations on that magnificent win."
"Thank you so much." She replies all smiley.
"Does this victory make your year?"
"Well yes it's one of the things that makes my year."
"What are the other things?"
"Um well, I celebrated my first wedding anniversary with Alex and we just found out that we're having our first child so, a lot factors add up.
"Oh so this is very small. Congratulations on that also."
(Laughing)
"Thank you."
"So how would you describe your feelings right now?"
"I have a million emotions going on, but I honestly feel blessed. This year has been huge for me, mentally and physically so, in just happy it all paid off. In my eyes, I have the perfect wife, the perfect child, and the perfect career."
"I agree. Thank you for your time Tobin. Congratulations again."
"Thank you." Tobin says walking away.
Tobin glances up at the stands, looking for Alex. She can't seem to find her and gets a little frustrated. All Tobin wants is a kiss and hug form her wife.
As the stands finally start to clear out, she spots Alex.
Tobin runs up the stairs, to the bleachers, and right in to Alex's arms.
"I'm so proud of you babe!" Alex says tearing up.
Tobin hugs her and kisses the forward.
The leave the arena and get in their car I go home.
The first few minutes is silence, until Tobin chuckles and smiles. Alex looks over at her surprised.
"What?" Alex says.
"Nothing." Tobin says smiling.
"What Tobin?" Alex says kinda laughing.
"It's just I was thinking about the next few months."
"Yea." Alex says raising her eyebrow.
"I mean I'm excited. Starting a family, it's all perfect."
"I know right." Alex says grabbing a hold of Tobin's hand.