Day 1: Pocket Full of Dreams

Thursday August 16th, 2017

I have this agenda, kinda like a bunch of things I want to do in my life. What do older people call it? A think they call it a bucket-list, but for me the list is 100 days of happiness. This is basically my pocket full of dreams.

One of those pocket dreams was to be at Oregon State University. I am here friends! I am about to become a beaver. This is my first of my 100 days of happiness and I can't even begin to tell you the excitement I feel.

My name is Meggie and I have just moved from Portland to Corvallis to attend Oregon State University, starting Monday. Eeeeek!!! I am beyond excited for this adventure to begin and to have a little breathing room from the parents. I mean, my parents (Lucy and Luke) are great and they care so very much. But my mother tends to hover. What do they call them? Helicopter parents: they like to hover.

I have placed myself in this little bedroom that is to be mine and added a bench in front of the large window. This is where I know I am going to be snugged up writing, doing homework and loosing my thoughts watching the little people who stroll past, lost in their own lives. Pondering what these people are thinking and how they move through their own life.

Although the room is small it will do just fine. There are white wash walls, and decent maple hardwood floor. But the best part is the glow from the sun that comes into the room from my new friend the window.  It wouldn't be the first time in my life that I window watched. But it will be my first time from here and my new found independence.

How about we get to know each other a little better?  I am Meggie Lucy Schmidt (did you get the middle name? the Mom) I am the youngest of two daughters to Luke and Lucy Schmidt. Luke my Pops is a Pharmacists and Lucy my Mom is a teacher and Lacey the older sister is a Music Education Major in her Junior year. We were no word of a lie the perfect white picket fence family. We still pretty much are, except the picket fence is in Portland with my parents and Lacey and I have a small apartment.

I am roughly 5'2, aka short and have some dark brown (almost black) short curly hair. Basic blue eyes and fairly pale. I am a clone of my Mom,  Lucy looks identical to me minus the curly hair, she and I both have the almond eyes and the heart shaped face. We are short and both of us are a little hour glassed. When it comes to Lacey, her and Luke are similar, blonde hair, blue eyes, great all year tan (even though we live in Oregon) and these amazingly long limbs. Lacey isn't extremely tall but she is taller than me. The only way people can tell we are sisters is we giggle the same cause the looks don't tell you at all that were are siblings.  A giggle is how we define our DNA.

Both of our parents wanted us close to home, but Lacey was definitely easier to let go. She is the oldest and was going with her high school sweetheart Ty. That was enough for the parentals to be swayed to let her go to University.. So Lacey got to move to Corvallis staying in Res for the 1st year and then her and Ty moved into their own place.

However, when it was my turn to apply and pick where I wanted to go; both my parents came in and tried to roadblock me at every turn. I was dead set that OSU was where I wanted to be. I wanted to be a Beaver, I wanted to work at the on campus childcare facility and I wanted to be in  Elementary Education Major. It wasn't until I broke down in tears and drove over the hour to get to my sisters door that my parents caved in. I am sure Lacey was part of the reason they caved and I am sure she and gave them an earful.

Being that I am their baby, they finally acknowledged and recognized my desire to go,  but not until I agreed to a few concessions.  I would have to live with Lacey and Ty. I can agree to that, their own space and my own too. The other is, if and when it snows I may not drive in the winter weather. This one is a bummer, but again if I can get to OSU with this stipulation,  I will do it.  

So I am sitting here with boxes all around me ready to unpack pulling out one of my dreams from my pocket and to start my 100 Days of Happiness.

Meggie

Happiness #1 - Moved Out