Day 12: Stacey & Cade

Monday September 4th, 2017

The rest of the weekend with the parents was great. Relaxing and peaceful. There was a little attempted snooping from Lucy, but it was easy to shut her down as there is really nothing to tell. I do have my suspicions that Lacey has indulged some information, but I cant be 100% positive.

I got home early last night and I started to doing a little research for a feild trip with Cade. I obviously have to discuss a few things with Stacey before I go ahead with my plan. This si something that just popped into my mind the day I met him. But I need to know that it will be okay with Stacey and I more than anything have to keep it a secret from the little guy.

Being that today is the holiday Monday I dont have any classes until tomorrow and I cam home early from my aprents place just so I could meet Stacey and Cade after lunch today. I need her thoughts and permission to go forward, so we agreed to meet right after lunch a little pathway / park by their place.

I pulled into the parking lot and proceeded to get out when I heard Cade loud and clear.

'Meggie!!! Over here'

I waved in response and headed in their direction with coffee's and apple juice in hand. ' Hey Handsome! I can see your lungs are working well today.'

'Yes, and I have been so excited to see you. I have lots to tell you about the type of plane I want to build when we go back to school and what fun we can have doing it. What should we do now? Park MOM?'

Stacey nods and Cade turns his walker ever so and we head in the direction of the park. Slowly making his way on to the rubber turf.

'Cade likes this park as they have an accessible slide, structure to play on and swing. But he isn't the swinging type kid. He always complains it just doesn't get high enough.'

I laugh, yeah the dream of being a pilot and to be high in the sky, means a swing just wouldn't do it.

'I understand what he means. If he wants to be in the sky, the swing wont take him high enough.'

'Well, huh! I didn't ever think about it that way.'

While Cade is off talking to some of the other kids at the playground we stand off to the side and watch. He has this charisma that some of the other children are just drawn too. We can hear one of the other kids ask about the walker and Cade explains that he needs it to walk as he was born with legs that work differently than other people.

I am amazed at his answer. Most adults don't even reply to questions like that.

'You have done a great job as a mom Stacey. Cade doesnt see himself as unable, he sees himself as unique. That speaks to how you have raised him.'

She takes a long sigh, 'It isn't easy. I mean Cade makes it easier than some other children with certain limitations. But it can wear on you for sure. Cade has always been easy to explain things too, and he understands what I am saying or trying to explain. I hope it is like this always. It has been the toughest with the surgeries, the learning to walk over and over again, and the money it takes for all these hospital stays. But when you look at him with his glasses off center and his crooked smile, it is all worth it.'

Stacey is the secretary to the President of OSU and I know she must get paid decent and the benefits must be okay, I cant help but wonder if it has been overly tolling. But as for Cade I couldn't agree anymore. The smile seems to let everything else slip away.

'Does his father help out?' Damn that may have been too bold. I should have not said anything.

'He does monetarily.' And that was all she was going to say about that.

I quickly changed the subject.

'I wanted to ask you Stacey, I have something I would like to plan for Cade. It would require for me to take him to Portland and as part of it a little day trip.' I lean in and whisper to her what I would like to do.

'Oh my, Meggie. That would be wonderful. Cade will love it. He will absolutley love it.'

'I have a couple of uncles that can help us out while we are there to make sure there is the safety we need. And we would likely get my mother to come and meet us too.'

'I knew Meggie when Ann told me about you that it would be okay. I knew that you would understand his limitations and not treat Cade any different because of them.'

So Lucy did say something to Ann and the Childcare Center and in turn Ann told Stacey.

'So Ann told you? and you were okay with it?'

'Ann told me about a month ago that she would think you are ideal to work with Cade. Don't worry Meggie, Cade doesn't know and you can tell him when you are ready. And sometimes the people you get to meet in life deliver a message that may be brief but we are all the wiser for it.'

I stood staring at her. I just couldn't figure out if I was relieved that someone else knew or if I was upset that it was out there. 

It took me a few minuets to gather my composure, but when I did. I realized that it was okay for me to have someone else in my court. One like Stacey would help and not hinder.

'No one really knows outside of my family and I guess you and Ann too now.'

Stacey grabs my hand and looks straight into my eyes.

'It isn't my story to tell Meggie. It is yours. Cade's father has his own story too, and he will tell it to Cade one day. We just get to be a chapter or two in your story for now. Don't worry. And anything I can help with this surprise for Cade let me know.'

I give her a great big hug. I appreciate everything she just said and I needed her to know it.

'I am going to go over and hang out with Cade on the park, want to come with us?' She mentions as she heads toward her son.

And like that I am following Stacey on to the turf and we start with a little tag. Whoever is on the ground is it. Guess that is me, and being here on the ground is just what I need.

Meggie

Happiness #12 - Stacey and Cade