3• Visit

Sam and Colby spent the whole day at home, something that rarely ever happened. They didn't talk again during the morning after that conversation. And they didn't do anything either.

Colby had stayed in the bedroom, and was meditating on his bed. Trying to keep as relaxed as possible in his current situation. And Sam had gone to the living room, and was sitting on the ground in front of the window, staring. In silence.

They stayed in their positions for hours. Neither moved once. Neither was able to think about anything, other than what was going to happen that night.

In the end of the afternoon however, the soothing peace that reigned in the quiet apartment was finally disturbed by the annoying sound of the doorbell.

The two boys ignored the first ring, and the second, and the third. And the fourth. But after the fifth, sensing the determination of whoever was waiting for them to open the door, Sam gave up hoping that they would leave, and reluctantly stood from his uncomfortably comfortable seat on the cold floor. His limbs were aching, his joints cracked with every movement and he felt dizzy as he slowly dragged his half paralysed body over to the front door.

He turned the handle and pulled, revealing the unexpected sight of four familiar faces : his friends Elton, Corey, Jake and Aaron. Sam's heart skipped a beat.

"Wh-what are you all doing here?" He asked after greeting them with a long, shocked stare.

"Colby and you weren't answering your phones," Corey replied. "We've been ringing you for hours."

"What? Why ? Did something happen ?"

Corey sighed, exchanging glances with his friends.

"We'll tell you. But can you let us in ?" Elton asked.

Sam opened the door wider and moved back to let his friends walk in, and gestured to the couch, where the four friends sat down.

Through his blurry eyes and in the dim light of the hallway, Sam hadn't been able to have a proper look at them, but now that he could see clearer, he was barely able to hide his shock at their sight. Their faces were incredibly pale, and they looked exhausted, like all their usual energy and gaiety had been drained from them.

And what was even more worrying was that they sat there for a good minute and none of them said a word. They just sat there in awkward silence, barely able to look up at Sam who was standing in front of them, doing his best to hold in his emotions, and urging his slowed down mind to come up with something to say. This had never happened in this friend group. Never.

They look just like Colby did when I came home this morning, Sam thought.

And then it hit him. The stranger ! They must have called them too ! That would explain everything. But then, why did they come here ? Do they know that Colby and I are victims too ?

"We know what happened to you and Colby," Elton finally spoke up. Making Sam begin to wonder if the bearded man could hear his thoughts. "I mean, we had guessed it, but seeing you right now is confirmation enough."

"The call ?" Sam asked, even though he knew the answer already.

"Yes."

"You weren't answering your phone, and neither was Colby," Jake said. "And we three were supposed to meet at 3pm today. You forgot about that, didn't you ?" He added as Sam gasped and covered his mouth with his hand.

"I did...I'm so sorry..."

"Don't worry, I hadn't planned on coming either, actually."

"Did they..." He paused. "Did they contact you guys too ?"