18• Keaton

When Colby woke up, about ten minutes later, he was still lying on the pavement, a street light right over his head. Many people were walking by him, but just like the others before them, none of them gave the ill young man more than a contemptuous look.

Colby wasn't surprised nor hurt by their utter indifference to his helplessness. It was far from being the first time this happened to him, and he didn't bother caring about it anymore.

Gingerly sitting up against the wall behind him, he started debating on what to do. He could stay here on the street for the night, as thousands of homeless people did every day throughout the city and country, or he could try resuming his long walk back home.

He considered the first option for a moment, but then the freezing gusts of wind that ran through the openings of his clothes and burned against his skin made him change his mind. But if he was to resume his walk, which wouldn't last less than 4 hours, then he had to at least find something to feed his empty stomach.

Glancing around the avenue, he noticed with great relief that there was a café, barely thirty meters away. Perfect, thought Colby. I'll grab a cup of strong, hot coffee, and I'll be good to go.

With a lot of effort, he managed to hoist himself up onto his wobbly legs, and, holding onto the wall, he dragged himself across the distance that separated him from the entry.

The door dinged as Colby stepped into the coffee shop. Some of the people sitting at their tables looked up mechanically at the new customer. Glancing in their direction, Colby was surprised to see a familiar face among them. Thankfully, the black-haired boy in black sitting in front of his laptop didn't see him, and Colby, not in the mood for talking, decided to ignore him.

The line of customers was short, and it was soon his turn. Leaning against the counter with one hand to avoid falling, he looked up at the barista, who gave the wretched young man half of the automatic smile he usually plastered on his face.

"Hello, what can I do for you ?"

"I want coffee," said Colby listlessly.

"Any specific type of coffee ?"

"Just coffee. With lots of sugar."

"Any extra flavours ?"

"No."

"What size would you like ?"

"The largest you got."

"Is that for here or to go ?"

"For here."

"Anything else ?"

Colby usually didn't mind the questions, but today, the unending stream was beginning to seriously piss him off, and he ended up glaring at the barista.

"Okay," said the man. "Your total comes $3.49. Are you paying by cash or credit ?"

Colby nearly lost his balance when he heard the question. That, he hadn't been expecting. I am so stupid ! He exclaimed inwardly. How could I forget about the money ?? He hadn't brought anything with him when he left the house that morning, and of course he didn't have a penny on him.

Letting out a long sigh, he turned on his heels and was about to leave, when a familiar voice talked behind him.

"I'll pay for him, sir. There. You can keep the change."

"Thank you. The name, please ?"

"It's Colby," said the voice.

"Hey Sam," said Colby as he slowly turned back around. The black haired boy in front of him gasped at the sight of his face.