Chapter 6: Lost in Paradise

By: eternityunicorn

"What is the Underground Agency exactly?" Rebekah asked.

"It's a pet project of mine, one inspired by the adventure I had with your brother," Eternity glanced up at Elijah with a small brief smile, before turning her attention back to his little sister to explain, "Many of the mortal worlds on this side of the divide between the two universes know about the existence of myself and the Immortal Universe. This is because they have the capacity to deal with any threat unto them from those less savory characters from the other side. This is not true of the Earth.

"Yet, for a very long time, I have had a vision to make the Earth battle ready, so that the rest of the Universal Kingdom will see humanity as a strong and capable race of people. I wanted to make the Earth independent from the unknown reliance it depends upon, in myself and my comrades. The immortals have been a well hidden secret for eons from this world, but with the birth of the new supernatural community, it is time for that to change. It is time for the creatures of this planet to have an equal seat at the table in my kingdom.

"Then about nine years ago, I met a man that had a similar vision to my own and together, we have created a secret organization of super humans we have recruited from around the world. You see, during World War II, there was a lot of human experimentation going on and it created a new breed of humans, people with special abilities and powers. You might call them superheroes or mutants. But not only have these special people been recruited. People from the new age supernatural community have been recruited as well.

"Together, they work to defend their own world from threats both foreign and domestic. It has definitely given me a break from having to defend this world myself. It is there, at the Agency, that young Hope could be safe from all that might harm her, including my mad brother. But also, she could learn about her powers and also learn how to defend herself against those who might do wrong upon her. There are many at the Underground Agency that could aide the child and keep her safe."

"I don't think Nik would go for it," replied Rebekah. "My brother's a stubborn prat who thinks only he can protect Hope. It was a chore to pry him away from his daughter's side just for a couple of days. He won't let her go to some facility away from him. Believe me, Hayley's been trying to get him to let Hope go to the Salvatore School in Mystic Falls for months to no avail."

Eternity smirked at her. "Well, I have been known to be quite stubborn myself and very persuasive," she said. "I'm sure I could convince him to do what is best for Hope's safety. Bruno isn't someone easily defeated not is he one to give up. Niklaus cannot contend with him, no matter how much he might want to try. This is especially true with the stronger my brother becomes. No doubt he will hunt the witches of this world, while lying in wait for an opportunity to take Hope - his true target. The safest place for this young one that is here on Earth is the Underground Agency."

Elijah glanced at his niece and noticed Hope playing with the glowing blue pendant around her neck. It was the very one that Eternity had given her to protect her from whatever other evil she had sensed would come after the child when she had saved Hope from the Hollow. He asked, "What about the pendant you gave her, Eternity? Can that not protect her?"

Eternity looked at him and shook her head slightly. "It would protect her from anything Earth-based, but not anything from the Immortal Universe," she explained. "I cannot give her a stronger pendant because any more power could have adverse affects upon young Hope. I had thought that whatever was coming would be of this world, not another madman from the distant stars - a long lost relative at that. There are not many options to protect the child, I'm afraid, besides sending her away temporarily."