Chapter Two

A few hours later, Jayan woke up to a series of raps on her door. She climbed out of bed and checked the clock. It was 6:30. The rapping changed to impatient banging. She opened the door quickly.

“Took you long enough,” Vanessa said coldly, “it’s time for breakfast.”

“Do you always get up so early?” Jayan asked, following the stiff girl to the dining room.

“Yes, but most of the others do sleep later.” The dining hall was indeed empty, but food was sitting on the table, warm and fresh. Vanessa grabbed an iced coffee, while Jayan scarfed down eggs.

“Do you always sit in the same seats?” Jayan asked her icy counterpart.

“No, but most people chose a seat and stay there.”

“Oh,” Jayan paused, and then continued, “You know, I’m kind of curious. If everyone here does magic, what do you do?”

Mind your own business,” Vanessa snapped. Then, in a kinder voice, “I do ice magic. And a little snow on a good day. But enough of that. I’ve got to show you what we do here. We’ll find your power, don’t worry.” Finishing breakfast, Vanessa led Jayan down a hall (the whole place seemed to be nothing but halls) and into the last room on the left. The walls were a warm yellow, and the floor was lined with cushions. Vanessa sighed and sank onto one of the cushions, completely relaxed. She closed her eyes, crossed her legs, and tapped the pillow across from her, gesturing for Jayan to sit.

Jayan sat across from Vanessa, “What are we doing?”

“Concentrate,” Vanessa murmured, “focus, and listen to your innermost thoughts. It may reveal your power, with time.”

“But you already know your power. Why do you come here?”

“It’s calming. But no more talking. Focus.” Jayan slowly closed her eyes. At once, there was a flash. She was hurtling through a warped, colorless dimension. When she landed, and the topsy-turvy world righted itself, she blinked. She didn’t recognize this place, or the girl she was looking at. The girl looked about seven, although it was hard to tell. She was sitting on her bed doing homework, and looking all in all, extremely depressed. Someone knocked on the door, then entered the room.

“Sweetie, your father and I have to go to a dinner party, okay? You’ll be fine on your own.” It was more of a statement than a question.

As the mother closed the door, the girl looked up, and muttered ominously, “Like it would matter if I wasn’t. You wouldn’t care anyway.” Jayan was startled at the girl’s voice. She knew that voice, or at least an older version of it. The girl on the bed was a seven year old Vanessa. There was another flash, and she was soaring through mixed, shapeless dimensions again. Her vision blurred, and cleared suddenly. Now she was looking at Vanessa at nine. Vanessa was talking to a younger Ms. Shelling in the same room the present-day Vanessa and Jayan now occupied.

“You may be the one I’m looking for,” Ms. Shelling was saying, “I need someone strong and, forgive me, rather secretive, to lead with me. I think you can handle the truth behind this organization, this school.” Vanessa looked confused, merely cocked her head, willing Ms. Shelling to continue. She obliged the young girl, continuing, “Of course, the only way to be sure is for you to pledge yourself to me, and my cause. Do that and you will learn much, but there will be no backing out. You’ll be sworn to secrecy, until it is time to choose a successor, if that is the case.”

Studying Ms. Shelling with cold, hard eyes, Vanessa said in a flat voice, “and how do I pledge myself to you? I will be silent and faithful, but I must first know how.”