Chapter Eleven

Kiya was up shortly to tell us to get to sleep. Jayan went to her room with Arianna. For once the insanley perky girl wasn't smiling, and didn't have anything to say.

Jayan had almost finished the list by now, and she could see they were at a direct disadvantage. Most of the abilities weren't offense, or even good for battle. Some of the powers quirks made it impossible to use during a fight.

Jayan just hoped most of the Underground members knew how to use a gun. If there were any to be had. Jayan was pretty sure the acadamy had a lacking of weapons. She wondered if that was the reason.

Sleep came easily, and Jayan blacked out until morning. When the time came for her to finally get up, Arianna beat her to it. The smile had been plastered back onto her face, and her eyes were shining. And, as usual, her mouth was open.

"Only one more day, and then we'll be attacking. It's so suspenseful!"

"Give it a rest, Arianna," Jayan complained, "And technicallly it's more like two and a half days. We don't know what time the battle will be at." She made a mental note to ask Kiya if she knew.

Arianna opened her mouth to say something, but Beta chose that moment to pull back the curtian. One look, and Arianna shut up.

"You know what?" Jayan said, looking amused, "I think I'm going to spend all my time with Beta from now on. You're the only one who can get her to stop talking."

Beta bowed, grinning, "much obliged."

Kiya was waiting for them outside the room. She looked concerned, her eyes had dark circles under them. That couldn't be a good sign.

"Couldn't sleep?" Jayan asked simpathetically. Kiya nodded.

"I was thinking about Vanessa. I'm worried."

"Vanessa won't turn on us," Beta said, "she was the one who started this in the first place."

"I don't know," Arianna muttered, "she sure seems to be absent quite a bit."

"If she was against us she would have been with us more," Beta argued, "she can't be a traitor." More quietly she muttered, "she just can't be."

Jayan touched her shoulder, "It's going to be okay."

Tears were now streaming down Beta's face, "it's just so hard. I try to be positive, and it still comes down to the same thing. We don't stand a chance! It's hopeless!"

"No Beta," Kiya was firm but soothing, "nothing worth fighting for is hopeless. I'm going to go down swinging, whether we lose or not, and anyone who really cares will be right there with me.

The look on Kiya's face shocked Jayan. Just a minute ago, it had been full of fear and sorrow. Now it was blazing with ferocity and determination. Kiya believed in everything she had said. Jayan could tell just by looking at her.

Beta gulped, and made an effort to stop crying. Arianna looked like she was reaching a decision, opened her mouth to speak, and then closed it again. Jayan was filled with an emotion she couldn't describe. Seeeing Beta, the girl who took everything as a joke, like this made her want to cry herself.

Beta's tears finally stopped, and she looked around at everyone, "um, why are you still staring at me?"

Everyone found something else to look at, and Beta grinned.

"Come on," Kiya muttered, "we've got to get to breakfast." They followed her out. After eating, they hooked up with Drew and Jasmine, who looked as if she would rather be anywhere else. Something about her felt wrong, but Jayan couldn't put a finger on it.

In the attic, Kiya spread out a diagram. It was of what apparently was the acadamy's basement.

"This is where Ms. Shelling plans on opening the portal. This is where we will have to stop her," Kiya explained. They all examined the map. There were marks on it, some representing Ms. Shelling and her army, some representing the Underground.

Kiya pulled out some of those figures used on war diagrams, "this is us."

Drew looked amused at something, then selected six figures and moved them to the closet in the corner, "and this is where we'll be hiding!"

Beta laughed, and Arianna grinned. Jayan and Kiya tried not to smile. Jasmine didn't smile.

"Okay," Kiya said, moving the figures back, "this is where we'll really be." She proceeded to show them how she invisioned the battle to take place. Jayan didn't know what to make of it. Kiya sounded so confident, like the battle would go exactly as she imagined. But Jayan heard doubt laced into her voice.

And even if they had more people, they would be fighting in a fairly small area, right? It seemed impossible to Jayan. She just couldn't imagine a way for them to win. And the worst part was, they might have to kill people to do it. The very thought made Jayan's stomach churn, threatining to return her breakfast.

She certianly was not looking forward to what was coming.