Chapter Fifty One

Thank you all for the support! I've just come back from the police station after giving a statement and the last address that I know where my ex lives so hopefully it will all be over soon.

***

"You wouldn't...you won't..." Pettigrew gasped. And he scrambled around to Ron. "Ron...haven't I been a good friend...a good pet? You won't let them kill me, Ron, will you...you're on my side, aren't you?"

But Ron was staring at Pettigrew with the utmost revulsion. 

"I let you sleep in my bed!" he said.

Well...that's not something you don't hear every day...

"Kind boy...kind master..." Pettigrew crawled towards Ron, "you won't let them do it...I was your rat...I was a good pet..."

"If you made a better rat than a human, it's not much to boast about, Peter," Black said harshly. Ron, going still paler with pain, wrenched his broken leg out of Pettigrew's reach. Pettigrew turned on his knees, staggered forwards and seized the hem of Hermione's robes.

"Sweet girl...clever girl... you - you won't let them...help me..."

Hermione pulled our robes out of Pettigrew's clutching hands and backed away against the wall, looking horrified. 

Pettigrew knelt, trembling uncontrollably, and turned his head slowly towards myself and Harry.

"Bella...Harry...you look just like your father...just like him..."

Oh my God, is he being serious right now? He wants to talk about Harry's father - the man he got killed - in front of him? And he wants to drag me into it when he's the reason why my dad got locked up and my mother killed? Is he mental?

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO HARRY AND MY DAUGHTER?" Black roared, seemingly on the same page as me. Also, did he just call me his daughter? "HOW DARE YOU FACE HARRY? HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT JAMES IN FRONT OF HIM?"

"You low-life freak," I hissed. "You're the reason why Harry doesn't have parents, why I don't have a mother and why my father has been locked up for the past thirteen years. You deserve nothing more than to rot in hell!"

"Harry," Pettigrew whispered, ignoring me and shuffled towards Harry, hands outstretched, "Harry, James wouldn't have wanted me killed...James would have understood, Harry...he would have shown me mercy..."

Before Harry could respond, both Black and Lupin strode forwards, seized Pettigrew's shoulders and threw him backwards onto the floor. He sat there twitching with terror, staring up at them.

"You sold Lily, James and my wife to Voldemort," Black said, he was shaking too. "Do you deny it?"

Pettigrew burst into tears. It was horrible to watch: he looked like an oversized, balding baby, cowering on the floor.

"Sirius...Sirius...what could I have done? The Dark Lord...you have no idea...he has weapons you can't imagine...I was scared, Sirius, I was never brave like you and Remus and James. I never meant it to happen...He Who Must Not Be Named forced me -"

I placed my hands in my hair, tears threatening to fall. 

"DON'T LIE!" I screamed. "YOU OWE IT TO US NOT TO LIE!"

Harry pulled me into his arms as Black took over my outburst. I snuggled closer into Harry's arms, trying not to let the tears fall. 

"YOU'VE BEEN PASSING INFORMATION TO HIM FOR A YEAR BEFORE THEY DIED! YOU WERE HIS SPY!" Black bellowed.

"He - he was taking over everywhere!" Pettigrew gasped. "Wh-what was there to be gained by refusing him?"

"What was there to be gained by fighting the most evil wizard who has ever existed?" Black said, with a terrible fury in his face. "Only innocent lives, Peter!"