Chapter Fifty Nine

A/N: So I found out this story is #5 out of #65 for #thirdyear. I am so beyond happy that it's trending at number 5! Thank you guys so damn much! I love you all!!

***

"What are you guys waiting for?" I groaned, dashing to untie Buckbeak. "Quickly! Where are we going to go? Where are we going to hide? The Dementors will be coming any moment -"

"Back to Hagrid's!" Harry said. "It's empty now - come on!"

We ran, as fast as we could, Buckbeak cantering along behind us. We could hear the werewolf howling behind us...

The cabin was in sight. Harry skidded to the door, wrenched it open and myself, Hermione, and Buckbeak flashed past him; Harry threw himself in after us and bolted the door. Fang the boarhound barked loudly.

"Shh, Fang, it's us!" Hermione whispered, hurrying over and scratching his ears to quieten him. "That was really close!" she said to us.

"No kidding..." I sighed.

Harry nodded. "Yeah..."

I walked over to the window and looked out. It was much harder to see what was going on from here. Buckbeak seemed very happy to find himself back inside Hagrid's house. He laid down in front of the fire, folded his wings contentedly and seemed ready for a nap. 

"I think I'd better go outside again, you know," I spoke up, breaking the silence. "I can't see what's going on - we won't know when it's time -"

Harry and Hermione both looked at me. Harry seemed unsure with the idea whilst Hermione looked suspicious. 

"I'm not going to interfere," I said reassuringly. "But if we don't see what's going on, how're we going to know when it's time to rescue my dad?"

"Well...Ok, then...I'll wait here with Buckbeak and Harry...but Bella, be careful - there's a werewolf out there - and the Dementors -"

Harry shook his head. "Hermione are you mad? We can't let Bella go out there alone. I'm going with you"

"Harry, I'll be okay...I'm a big girl now," I smiled. "Besides, I want to do this alone"

"Well, tough," he said, "I'm not letting you go alone. End of."

I sighed and nodded. We stepped outside again and edged around the cabin. I could hear yelping in the distance. That meant the Dementors were closing in on Sirius...me, Harry, and Hermione would be running to him any moment...

I stared out towards the lake, my heart doing a kind of drum-roll in my chest. Whoever or whatever had sent the Patronus's would be appearing at any moment. I grabbed Harry's hand and gave it a tight squeeze. He looked at me and smiled, his eyes brimming with nervousness.

For a fraction of a second we stood, irresolute, in front of Hagrid's door. We must not be seen. But I didn't want to be seen. I wanted to do the seeing...I had to know...

And there were the Dementors. They were emerging out of the darkness from every direction, glidling the edges of the lake...they were moving away from where we stood, to the opposite bank..I wouldn't have to get near them...

I let go of Harry's hand and began to run. After a second, I heard Harry run after me. I had no thought in my head except seeing my mother...if it was her...if it really was her...I had to know, had to find out. 

The lake was coming nearer and nearer, but there was no sign of anybody. On the opposite bank, I could see tiny glimmers of silver - my own attempts at at Patronus -

"Bella, what are you doing?" Harry whispered, catching up to me, breathless. "We could be seen!"

"Shh!" I held my hand up. "Just watch,"