Chapter 1

1 Amara

LIFE ISN'T FAIR. Yeah, I know. I learned that the hard way. I could recite over a hundred proofs but I know that would be a moot point. I guess everybody knows that. I mean life isn't fair to everybody, right? But why do I feel like it's extra unfair to me?

"Hey! Get out of the way!" I was pulled out of my reverie when a car swoosh past me. I jumped backwards so fast that I almost lost my balance. Phew! That was close. I mentally scolded myself. I should not overthink while in street. I repeat this mantra over my head until its plastered in my brain.

Rain drops began to fall. I checked the umbrella inside my bag. Its just a plain black umbrella, no prints -- I don't like prints anyway -- but its probably the most important thing in the world to me.

The rain's not that hard yet, I'll just use this later. I unzipped my backpack at resumed walking. Honestly, I like walking. It gives me time to think things and well, complain about life. My classes end at 8:30 pm and I normally walk from school to the corner street and then take a jeepney home. Part of it is because I want to save money, but the bigger part of it is for me to have time alone.

Alone. I am probably alone most of my life. I do have a family -- a broken family to be exact -- few friends, myself, and my umbrella. I'm not really friendly, and I think people doesn't want to be friends with me either. Even my class, I'm always ignored and barely noticed. I don't like to talk much, but I like to think.

Maybe that's the reason why I am always at the top of my class. I'm good at thinking, but other than that? I am nothing. I checked my watch, 9:42 pm. I could still make it home before 10:30 pm, before the dorm closes.

I am walking at the sidewalk, my pace is slower than the usual. Tiny rain drops dropping and cold against my skin. I lift my head up and closed my eyes for a few seconds and took a deep breath. Why does life has to be so hard?

Rain started to pour but I ignored it. I thought of using my umbrella but abruptly dismissed it. I don't want to use my umbrella, it might be damaged or worse, ruined. I can't afford that to happen. No, not my umbrella. Its my most treasured possession. The only thing that attached me to him.

I walked a little bit faster so that I won't get caught up in the rain. But then the skies decided to pour rain so hard that I have no choice but to use my umbrella. With all the willingness that I could muster, I fished the umbrella inside my bag and opened it. This is the seventh time that I used it. Gosh, its becoming overused.

"Stupid rain." I muttered under my breath. A car passed me by splaterring mud to my jeans. I groaned in frustration and hurried towards the waiting shed. Ugh, I hate rains. It makes everything wet, and I hate wet. Especially if it is wet from tears.

Its almost over. I calmed myself with this thought. Its almost over. The corner street is only a few blocks away and I can get a jeepney ride there. Its almost over.