Chapter 3

Jack had Jackie wrapped in his arms. She was leaning her head on his chest. He never wanted to let her go. Ever. Jackie kept moving her hands up and down his back just making sure he really was here. “I love you Jackie.”

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes. “I love you so much Jack.”

As they gazed into each other’s eyes, Jackie moved her hand silently up to the back of Jack’s head. It was weird seeing her gloves white and not covered in blood. She shakily placed her hand on where the bullet had cut of a piece of his skull and caressed it. “It’s okay Jackie I’m here really.”

She nodded and kissed him again so forcefully Jack had to catch her from falling over. “Slow down kid.” Jack smiled.

Jackie giggled, she’d missed his smile. He looked so innocent. Their bodies were very close together they wanted to be together. Jack gently bent down and lifted his wife up newlywed style, she blushed. “Bunny your back.”

“There’s no pain here Jackie.”

She smiled before nuzzling his neck. When they reached the bedroom Jackie looked round in amazement it was large, with an old four poster oak bed with beautiful blue curtains and furniture. She felt Jack lay her gently on the bed before he joined her. As she kissed him he moaned, her heart stung at how much she’d missed him.

After they’d made love very passionately a few times they lay together under the duvet staring at each other. Jack gently traced her jaw line. “It was worth the wait.” Jack whispered as he kissed his wife’s cheek. “What?” Jackie asked confused.

“I promised you after the Cuban Missile Crisis that I would never cheat on you and from that day, I haven’t.”

Jackie blushed. “It’s been 31 years Jack.”

“I know but I didn’t want to break my promise.”

She slowly caressed his cheek. “I’ve missed you.”

“I missed you too. Your smile, your witty humour and your company.” Jack replied pulling her into him. Jackie began to cry. “I love you.”

“I’m sorry for the hell I put you through, leaving you to raise Caroline and John, face the world, always living as my widow, becoming Jackie O.”

Jackie glanced at him. “You know I married Ari?”

Jack nodded as he watched his wife begin to panic. “Calm down kid, if I was you I’d have done the same thing. You needed protection and to look after our kids and you’ve raised them wonderfully.”

She relaxed and rested her head against his chest. “I’ll be back in a minute.” Jack said as he got up. After he’d left the room Jackie sat up, she saw her pink suit. That was the way it should have ended up in Dallas, quickly discarded on the floor of a hotel room not drenched in her husband’s blood.

She was lying propped up on her elbow when Jack returned. He had a photo. “I’ve always kept this.” Jack said handing it to her. She gasped when she saw it; it was them in the motorcade seconds before the shooting.

“I always remembered the way you looked, so happy and then…..”

“Don’t relive it Jack it’s okay.” Jackie said holding him. “We’re together now.”

He nodded and kissed her cheek.