Chapter 7

21st May 1994

Jackie’s body had now been moved and Caroline and John were beginning to clear out the apartment. John was in the library while Caroline was in her mother’s room.

“JOHN!” Caroline yelled. John came running in. “What?”

Caroline held up something. John gasped. “I….I thought it was lost.”

“Me too….Mum had it all along.” Caroline said as she stroked the famous pink pillbox hat.

“Maybe it reminded her of Dad…”

“Possibly.”

“He did love her in that pink suit.”

Caroline nodded. “What do we do with it?”

“Keep it.” John said as he placed it on his sister’s head. They were silent for a moment just staring at it, thinking about the memories and history it had. “Do you think Mum just ever tried it on and looked in the mirror?”

“Maybe I never thought she’d keep it.”

“She’s always full of surprises.”

John smiled and put the hat back in its box. They continued going through the wardrobe.

“Caroline.” John said pulling out a pair of men’s trousers.

“What?”

“These are Dad’s; they’re the ones he wore when he nearly got eaten by a horse.”

“Oh yeah, how do you know?” Caroline asked.

John reached into the pocket. “There are still sugar cubes in it.”

Caroline gasped and stood there silently. “Keep them.”

John nodded and put them in a bag. “I never realised Mum kept such a big part of Dad here.”

“It’s sweet.”

“That it is.”