Chapter 4

Jackie was sitting on the sofa in the library looking at some of the painting Jack had done. She was wearing a pink jumper and a pair of cream chinos. She was lost in thought when Jack came in. He flopped down beside her and hugged her tightly. “Jackie I’ve been thinking.”

“About what bunny?”

“We need to talk about Dallas.”

Jackie nodded. “I actually want to ask you about it myself.”

“Go ahead.”

Jackie took a deep breath. “Well did you know you were going to die?”

Jack looked at the floor and nodded. “When I heard the first shot I knew I was going to be hit, and then the second in the neck I mean it was all over from then. My main concern was saving you.”

“What?” Jackie asked puzzled as she held his hand.

“When I turned to you holding my neck I was trying to get you to get down but you came closer to me…..and…..and held me.” Jack said beginning to cry. “It was like you didn’t care about yourself…..”

“Oh Jack.” Jackie said as she rubbed his back. “I didn’t care about myself I was focused on you.”

“Thank you.”

Jackie smiled. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

“What was the last thing you remember?”

“Lying in your lap and you saying don’t die on me Jack, I love you. I tried so hard to say I love you to but I couldn’t get it out.”

Jackie kissed him and comforted him. “Everything’s alright now Jack.”

He nodded and stood up. “There’s someone I want you to meet.”

“Who?”

Jack helped Jackie up. “Follow me.”

Jackie quickly followed her husband up to one of the rooms. They stopped and looked at each other. “Ready?”

Jackie nodded and watched as Jack turned the door handle. As she went in, she gasped.