Chapter 5

A House just outside Washington DC

“Our nations former First Lady Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis died last night surrounded by her family. She was an icon to many, one who lived an extraordinary life and suffered a huge amount of tragedy. She will forever hold the title for the bravest and most courageous women of our time, the way she held our country together following her husband President Kennedy’s assassination.”

Clint sighed and switched the TV off. If he’d done his job properly none of this would have happened. She’d have lived happily with her husband and children. Clint was lost in thought when the phone rang. He picked it up quickly. “Yes?”

“Mr Hill?” Clint froze; only two people spoke like that.

“Caroline?”

“Yes it is.” Caroline replied.

“Oh Caroline I’m so sorry, are you and John okay? If you need anything let me know.”

Caroline took a deep breath. “Thank you Clint but I was phoning to see if you were alright? I know how much you admired my mother.”

Clint was slightly stunned. Caroline definitely was her mother’s daughter, only she would she think of someone else at this time. “I’m fine Caroline honestly.”

“Will you be able to attend the funeral?”

“Of course I’ll be there.”

“Thank you.”

After hanging up Clint went through to his study. He opened the drawer and pulled out the copy of Profiles in Courage that Jackie had signed for him. The world really had lost an icon today.

Jackie’s Apartment

John was sitting on the phone. “And John don’t forget if you need anything please ask, Hillary and I would be pleased to help.”

“Thank you Mr President but I think we’ll be okay.”

“Ok, I’ll speak to you soon John.”

“Thank you Mr President.”

After John hung up he went and stood at the window. Ed joined him. “You okay?”

“Yeah, but talking to President Clinton stresses me out.”

Ed smiled. “Caroline’s been glad of your support.”

“I’ve been glad of yours and hers.”

Ed smiled and hugged him. “It’s true what they say, blood is thicker than water.”

John laughed. “Welcome to the Kennedys.”