Bonus Chapter

16th July 1999

Jack and Jackie were standing holding hands. Jack was nervous, he kept fidgeting. “It’s okay bunny relax.”

He nodded.

After a few minutes the gates opened. A man with dark brown hair and a girl with bright blonde hair walked in. Jack gasped. “John.” Jackie called.

John grinned. “Mum.” John exclaimed as they hugged. John turned to face his father. “Dad?”

Jack nodded. “Oh John.” Jack said beginning to cry. They hugged. Jackie smiled and turned to look at Carolyn. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you Carolyn.”

“And you Jackie, John told me so much.”

She smiled and hugged her daughter in law. She was looking forward to getting to know her.

Jack and John were standing smiling. It had been 36 years since they’d seen each other. John barley remembered him. “I can’t wait to be your Dad again son.”

John began to cry he embraced his father. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Jackie and Carolyn were standing watching feeling slightly choked up. “He always wanted to meet his father.”

“Now they can.” Jackie smiled.

Jack was rubbing his son’s back, trying to comfort him. “Sam?”

John pulled back and laughed. “Oh Dad I’ve missed you.”

“Can you remember me?” Jack asked.

“A little, but everyone tells me you called me Sam.”

Jack grinned. “That’s true. Now introduce me to your wife.”

John smiled. “Dad this is Carolyn, Carolyn this is my Dad.”

Carolyn smiled and shook his hand. “It’s nice to meet you Dad.” Jack laughed. “I’ve never had a daughter in law before.”

“I’m sure we’ll get on great.” Carolyn replied before giving him a hug. “I’m sure we will too.”

Jackie came and took her husband’s hand and they headed back to the house, followed by the younger Mr and Mrs Kennedy. Maybe now Jack could be the father he always dreamt of being.

Later that Day

Jack was sitting on the beach with John, father and son bonding. “How did you meet Carolyn?”

“At a party, she wouldn’t go out with me so I kept going to her work till she agreed.”

Jack laughed. “I remember a similar pattern with your mother.”

John smiled. “Have you and Mum been happy?”

“Extremely.”

“She always wanted to be with you, she missed you so much.”

“I missed her too.”

John nodded.

“How’s Caroline?” Jack asked.

“She’s great, very like you.”

Jack nodded. “I’m sorry I wasn’t part of your life for very long John I want to make it up to you now.”

John smiled. “Thanks Dad.”

When they joined the women in the living room they all smiled. “To the new Mr and Mrs Kennedy.” Jack said.

“Cheers.” They all echoed.

Jack was elated; he had his beautiful wife, the chance to get to know his son and a new daughter in law. Life couldn’t be better.