Feared Creature

Elijah's house was old fashioned, big and made of stone and wood, but had recently been renovated

Elijah's house was old fashioned, big and made of stone and wood, but had recently been renovated. It was a two-story home, obviously made for a big family, with four bathrooms and five bedrooms. Elijah explained to Mackenzie how he "convinced" the owners to take a trip around the world and leave him their house for as long as he needed it. Mackenzie wasn't even surprised anymore, though she was relieved to hear he hadn't killed them and buried them in their backyard. Only two bedrooms upstairs had a bathroom attached to it, and Elijah already occupied the biggest one. When they arrived very late on that Sunday night, or very early on that Monday morning, the original vampire had sent the young elemental in her new room, with a few boxes containing clothes and other necessary items, and a promise of going through her mother's chest in the morning, after she had a good "night" of sleep. Elijah was tired himself and he could only imagine how exhausted the mortal girl was. After she reluctantly made her way to her new bed and fell asleep faster than she thought she would, Elijah finally allowed himself to do the same.

The sun was already high in the sky when Mackenzie woke up in the unfamiliar bed. The clock on the nightstand indicated the time with big red digits: 3:48PM. She turned around in the bed, rubbed her eyes then yawned as she ran a hand through her messy and greasy hair. She needed a shower. She felt defeated, despite having slept fairly well. She felt dirty, and not just because of her sticky hair. She sighed. She looked around the room, wondering who it belonged to, hoping whoever she was who had plastered posters of the Jonas Brothers all over her walls was having fun on her trip around the world. She looked at the time again, feeling like she had forgotten something, like she should be doing something else at that moment. Of course, she had missed school, but that wasn't it. She had woken up late in the day and hadn't got up early to make breakfast for Robert, or for anyone. She didn't feel worried or nervous or scared. Maybe she should be. After all, there was a thousand-year-old vampire at the end of the hallway. But somehow, he wasn't scarier than Robert. Somehow, she felt safe with him even though she had met him about a week ago and he had done his fair share of scary things. Removing the head of her kidnapper being one of them. Damn, had her life been so complicated ever since.

She eventually got up with the intention of taking a shower. She was glad to see all she needed was in one of the boxes in her room or already in the bathroom. After a long and necessary shower, she got dressed, picking up a wrinkled dark purple shirt and a pair of blue jeans from a box, and walked out of the room. She found herself in a cold and dark hallway and shivered at the change of temperature. She brought her arms against her chest and rubbed them as she made her way to the stairs. They lead to the living room where she expected to find Elijah. When she didn't see him, she noticed the smell of food coming from the kitchen and followed it. The kitchen was big. Huge even. No one needed a kitchen that big. It was clean, which it had to be considering how white it was. There was an isle in the middle of the room where Elijah was sitting, with a newspaper in his hands. He had his back turned to her but she had no doubt he knew she was there. The tea in front of him was still hot and there were two cups. A plate of pancakes was also waiting for her and invited her to sit next to him.