Killing the Immortal

The white carpet was a mystery to Elijah

The white carpet was a mystery to Elijah. A million questions came to him as he stared at the whitest white. People walked on that carpet every day. How was it so white? How did it manage to remain unstained when its very existence called for it to be dirty? It probably didn't. There were people to clean it. People to save it.

He stared at that carpet, undisturbed, for minutes. Kol was dead, and he was an ocean across from him. Could he have stopped it, had he been there? Could have Kol been reasoned with? Was Elena Gilbert in the right? Or was she what Mackenzie thought her to be? A selfish girl who would do anything and kill anyone to get what she wanted? But she didn't kill him, did she? She had someone else do it. For her. Always for her. And she got to sleep at night thinking her hands were clean. But her hands were dirty. Her hands were the reddest red.

"We have a problem."

He looked up at Mackenzie who had finally joined him on the plane. A flight attendant asked if they were ready to take off, and after making sure that all their belongings had been safely boarded on the plane, Mackenzie nodded, saying they were in a hurry.

"Hey, are you okay?" she asked as she sat next to him on the clear brown leathered seats.

"I was just wondering what Kol had done to get Ms. Gilbert to kill him."

"What he had done? You heard Klaus. She needed that stupid map," Mackenzie scoffed. "And she'll make a big deal out of not killing anyone. 'cause she's so perfect," she rolled her eyes. "Hundreds of vampires died along with your brother. Jeremy and Elena Gilbert are mass murderers. Kol was doing the right thing, your brother is not to blame."

"That could be debated. Klaus also said Kol was about to cut Jeremy's arms."

"And save the world," she added. "Turns out Kol had the right idea."

"What do you mean? Have you talked to Heidi? What did she say?"

"She didn't say much, she mostly yelled at me for five minutes straight."

The plane shook a few times, putting a stop to their conversation. The flight attendant asked them to put their seatbelt on before she disappeared inside the cabin once again.