Homecoming

Diego followed Kat as she stormed into the foyer.

"He's got a lot of nerve coming in here and accusing us of shit." She fumed.

Diego sighed and wrapped her in a tight embrace. "I know, Kat. I'm pissed too. But let's just try to get through this stupid funeral, and then you and me can disappear again." He said, placing a kiss on the crown of her head.

She relaxed into his hold, sighing deeply. "Fine. But I'm still pissed off at Luther." She grumbled, causing Diego to chuckle.

"Fine by me, baby girl."

Vanya walked in, her steps faltering when she saw the couple. "Oh, I-I'm sorry. I didn't realize..." she trailed off.

Kat's jaw clenched as Vanya spoke.

"We're just leaving. C'mon, Kat." Diego said in a clipped tone before pulling Katherine along with him.

The entered the now empty living area and Diego flopped onto the couch, pulling Kat down as well. She laughed as she landed on top of him, one hand over his heart and the other on his cheek.

She leaned in close, her lips ghosting over his with the slightest of touches before something caught her attention. From upstairs, muffled but still audible, she could hear a familiar song playing.

"Running just as fast as we can Holdin' on to one another's hand." She sang along with a huge grin. Katherine Hargreeves quickly stood up and held out a hand to the man on the couch in front of her.

He took and stood, then walked away towards the doors. She frowned at the action- he had never denied dancing with her before.

He stopped, looking around to make sure no one was around to interrupt, then closed the doors. He turned around to face her and smiled in pure joy as he approached her.

The music echoed through the house, allowing them to get lost in the lyrics and the beat. "There doesn't seem to be anyone around I think we're alone now The beating of our hearts Is the only sound."

Diego and Katherine twirled and danced like crazy people, laughing all the while. For a few moments, it was as if nothing could touch them. Not Luthers accusations, not Vanya's harsh and cruel words, not even neing in the house that bore so many unpleasant memories. For a few moments they were truly happy.

But as we know, all good things must come to an end, however abrupt that ending may be.

Thunder rumbled loudly, causing the music to stop, glass to shatter, and Kat to grab Diego's arm fearfully.

"Come on. You're safe with me. We need to see what the hell that was." He assured her, taking her hand and pulling her along.

They made it outside to see a huge blue light of some sort just floating in the courtyard.

"Holy shit." Katherine yelled from behind Diego.

"Looks like some sort of temporal anomaly. Either that or a miniature black hole. One of the two." Luther yelled over the roar.

"Pretty big difference there, Paul Bunyan." Diego replied.

"Out of the way!" Klaus yelled, running throughwith a fire extinguisherin his hands. He tried to deploy it, and when that didn't work he threw it into the anomoly.

"What are you -" Luther started in confusion.

"What is that gonna do?" Allison cried out.

"I don't know. Do you have a better idea?" Klaus countered.

Electricity crackled, and Luther didnt hesitate to push Klaus behind him to stand beside Kat. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Everybody get behind me."

"Yeah, get behind us." Diego agreed, keeping a hand laced with one of Kat's.