Trauma

Two hours. It only took Kat two hours after they left to wake up. When she did, she shot out of bed and over to the corner of the room. Her eyes were wide as she looked around, finally stopping when she saw Five standing beside the bed with his hands up.

"Katherine? Kat, it's me, Five. You're okay, you're home. You're safe now." he said in a calm, quiet voice.

The look in her eyes absolutely shattered him. He would have rather spent a million years alone in the apocalypse than ever see that look on his sister's face. She looked as though everything inside her had been broken.

"What happened?" she asked quietly. "After she shot me, what happened?"

"Diego found you at the motel. He brought you to your apartment and him, myself, and Luther cleaned you up."

"Where is he?" Her eyes flit around the room searching for him.

"He' not here. But he'll be back soon, I'm sure. He wouldn't leave you for long."

"Klaus?" she asked next.

"He's here. Made it home not long ago."

Kat practically bolted from the room, down the hall to where Klaus's room was. Five hurried after her, watching as she stood frozen in front of the door, her hand raised to knock.

"Kat?" Five asked, worried.

She shook her head, then knocked quietly. On the other side of the door, Klaus groaned.

"Come in." He called.

Katherine slowly turned the knob and opened the door to see Klaus sitting on his bed, head in his hands. He looked up to see who was entering his room and gasped quietly. He stood slowly and held out his arms, waiting for her to make the first move. She felt tears stream down her face as she carefully approached him, her own arms wrapping around his waist.

"Holy shit. I thought you were dead for sure." Klaus whispered, stroking her hair.

"I was so scared. I didn't know if you got away or not. I knew that I had to try to keep you safe." she explained through her tears.

"You did, Kat. You saved my life yet again. You keep saving me." he said, tears of his own building in his eyes.

A knock on the door frame caused them to pull away and look over to see Five standing awkwardly in the doorway. "You okay?" he asked Klaus, knowing already what Kat's answer would be.

"Hey. Yeah, I just...long night." Klaus said, sitting down and patting the bed for Kat to join him. He held her hand tightly like he was afraid to let her go, and she gripped him much the same.

"More than one, from the looks of it." Five said.

"Yeah."

"Don't remember the dog tags."

"Yeah, they belonged to a friend."

"How about that new tattoo?"

"You know, I don't totally remember even getting it. Like I said, it was a long night." Kat knew that Klaus was lying, she just wasn't sure why.

"You did it, didn't you?" Five said, his voice filled with accusation.

"What are you talkin' about?"

"You know, I can recognize the symptoms, Klaus."

"Symptoms of what?" Kat finally asked.

"The jet lag. Full body itch. Headache that feels like someone shoved a box of cotton up into your nose and through your brain." Five listed.