Where Did You Go?

FLASHBACK

A bell rang loudly, calling the attentionof the children of the Umbrella Academy to fact that it was time to eat. They scrambled from their rooms one by one, running to the dining room table. They took their places behind their respective chairs, patiently awaiting orders from theirfather, who sat at the head of the table.

"The Dãlfersitz rappel is the preferred method for descent when rope is the only available tool, but must be regarded as a last resort. Begin by looping the rope-" the record droned on.

"Sit." Reginald barked, cutting off the recording and allowing the kids to sit and beging eating. Most of them merely picked at their food, other things capturing their attention. Allison and Luther were smiling secretively at eachother. Diego was sharpening a knife. Klaus was showing Kat how to roll a blunt. Ben was reading. Vanya ate her food in silence. Only Five dared to break the silence by slamming his steak knife into the table.

"Number Five?" Reginald asked.

"I have a question." The boy responded.

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

Five looked across the table at Kat, who gave him a pleading look. He sighed, but persisted. "I want to time travel."

"No."

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." He said, performing said task with ease. "See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

"Well, I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

"I'm not afraid." Five fought, getting angrier by the second.

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five couldn't take it anymore. He stormed over to Kat and hugged her. "I'll be back. I promise." He said to both her and Klaus before sprinting out the front door.

"Number Five! You haven't been excused! -Come back here!" Reginald called.

But Five didn't come back. He got lost, leaving his family wondering just what had happened for years to come.

END FLASHBACK

Kat woke up around five in the morning to find no trace of Diego. No sign that he had ever come back and laid down with her. She frowned in disappointment. She thought that he would have at least been there when she woke up.

She stood and stretched, then walked to the bathroom to shower. After cleaning up a bit, she found a clean set of workout clothes in her drawers that would suffice for the time being. As she made her way down the stairs, she heard breathing and soft snoring coming from two bedrooms and the living room. She quickly and quietly exited the Academy. The bus stop wasn't too far away, and she had enough money to ride from there to the gym without a problem.

She arrived to see Al standing beside the ring, yelling at the guys who were fighting.

"Get with it! Throw a damn punch, stop trying to block!" The older man yelled.

Kat chuckled quietly. "Looks like these boys could use some shaping up, Al." She called.

The man smiled widely and threw out his arms, embracing her in a hug as soon as she was close enough. "It's good to see ya again. Where's Diego? He's usually not more than a few feet away from you."

"I was actually hoping you could tell me. He didn't come back to the place we stayed last night, so I was hoping he would be here." She explained.

"Nope. Nowhere to be found. But since you're here, would ya care to help me toughen these guys up. They fight like a couple of sissies."

She let out a peal of laughter, but nodded in agreement. "You got it, boss."

Kat didn't hesitate to grab the tape and wrap her hands, throw her hair in a ponytail, put on a pair of boxing gloves, and jump into the ring. She trained the men until they couldn't stand it any longer and had to work out a rotation in order to get a few minutes of rest.

"Focus. Come on!" Kat yelled as two men fought her at the same time. They were a sweaty, panting mess as they threw punch after futile punch.

"Yeah. Break. Break. Move your feet." Al yelled from beside the ring.

Luther entered the gym to see the old man yelling at whoever was fighting in the ring. "Excuse me." He said cautiously.

"You're looking to box? 'Cause I may need fighters, too. This old girl is wearing them out faster than I can get em in the ring." Al huffed.

"Oh, no, I'm looking for information on one of the guys that uses your gym. Diego Hargreeves?"

"Well, if you see him, you can tell him I'm this far from firing his ass. If it weren't for that girl of his, he'd be on his ass. She's an angel I tell ya. Nobody can keep up with her either. She's the best trainer I've ever had."

"Wait, they work here?"

"Eh, he, uh, mops the floor in exchange for the back room. She helps me out by training these chuckle heads when she's around."

"Okay. Thanks."

"Think about the fight game, eh? You got the build."

Katherine, finally finishing her fight, helped the guys out of the ring and caught a towel one of the guys tossed to her. She wiped her face and draped the towel over her shoulder as she hopped down.

"Looks like we aren't the only ones lookin for Diego." Al announced, approaching her.

"What do you mean?" She asked as he came to a stop and pointed to Luther, who was talking to a few guys.

"That big guy over there was asking questions. Wanted to know where your husband was."

"I know that guy, no worries. Also- not married, Al!" She called as she walled away.

"If he doesn't ask soon, I will!" He replied, causing her to chuckle as she approached her brother.