Love and Luck

Five had never been one to break easily, but what sat in front of him was enough to crush him. The entire Academy was gone, crumbled around him. He saw a hand reaching through the rubble and quickly made his way over to see what it was clutching. He pulled an eye from the hand, looking at it in confusion, then leaned over to see who it was.

A man with blonde hair and a large build. There was no doubt in Five's mind that the man before him was Luther. He looked around and found another body- Allison, buried beneath the rubble. His gaze caught on the body of Diego, face down on top of a pile of rocks. Five ran over and shook the man, praying that he would wake up. Maybe this was all some kind of sick joke? They were all going to pop up at any moment and yell "Surprise, we missed you!". But no, as Five shook him, Diego continued to lay lifeless. Five felt tears sting his eyes as he looked up and saw Klaus, motionless only a few feet away.

But where was she? His closest sibling and friend. The one person he trusted more than anyone else in the world. He stood up and looked around, searching frantically for her. "Katherine!" He yelled, fear in his voice. When he gained no response, he began to panic. His eyes scanned the rubble, and landed on a small hand, reaching out towards Diego. He hadn't even noticed that the man had also been reaching out, apparently towards her.

Five crawled over the rubble, kneeling so he could dig her out. He tossed away large chunks of debris to finally reveal her face. Even in death, she was beautiful and fierce. He dug further to see multiple steel rods penetrating her chest. So that's what had stopped her from healing. He saw her other hand stretched towards Klaus and the dam broke. He could only imagine how scared she had been in her last moments, not being able to hold any of the people she loved. He wiped away some of the dried blood and grime on her face and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, holding her hand as he quietly sobbed.
__________________________________

Katherine woke up from her nap to the feeling of soft fluttering kisses along the side of her neck. She smiled sleepily as Diego's arms tightened around her blanket-clad body. She turned around in his arms to face him, finally opening her eyes.

"Hi." She said quietly, her hands resting on his chest.

He kissed her softly then propped his head up on his hand. "Hi. You feeling ok?"

"Never better. You?"

"I'm naked in bed with the love of my life. I could die right now as the happiest man on earth."

She blushed fiercely, her leg hooking around his and pulling him to hover over her. "I think we can do better than that."

He smirked down as her, a deep chuckle rumbling through his chest. "Well, I just picked up a call on the radio about a whole shitton of gunfire downtown. But I think we can spare a few more minutes if you wanna come with me." He offered.

"Was that a fucking pun?"

"Was THAT?" He replied, both of them laughing befire he kissed her passionately.
___________________________________

The pair walked up, hand in hand to the scene of the crime. Diego wore his usual black attire, and Kat wore a pair of black skinny jeans and combat boots, with an oversized, black, vneck tshirt to match. Her long dark hair was pulled into a high ponytail to keep it out of her face.

"Promise me you'll play nice when Patch makes her way over?" Diego asked.

"Oh, honey. You know I don't make promises I can't keep." Kat teased with a smirk. They snuck around the officers, easily entering the scene.

Diego didn't hesitate to bend down and scoop something off the floor. Kat leaned down beside him to see that it was a casing.

"Do you seriously still not understand the chain of custody? If you touch it, I can't use it." Patch said, walking towards them.

"Let me save you some time running ballistics. These nine-millimeters haven't been manufactured since 19 -" Diego started, only to be cut off by Detective Patch.

"1963. Odd, I know. Matching casings were found at a murder scene last night. Ishmael's Towing."

"The driver?"

"Found him hanging from the ceiling. Looks like he must have known something after all."

"It's a shame nobody told you to go talk to him."

"In the span of 24 hours, I've had attacks in three different places across town. Whatever this is, whoever this is, they're not slowing down. So, if you really give a shit and you've got any fresh ideas, I'm all ears."

"The guy's kid, in the doughnut shop?"

"I've got units tracking the extended family in case anyone goes after him."

"Well, this place must have surveillance footage." Kat suggested.

Patch looked at her, surprised that she was actually there. Of course Diego never shut up about her, but seeing her was a different story.

"Uh...No, it doesn't exist. The first unit on the scene clocked two shooters fleeing the premises, wearing, get this, creepy kids' masks."

"The city is really going to shit, huh? CDC Diego said with a frown.

"Coming from the guy dressed in spandex?"

"It's not spandex, it's leather. And Kit-Kat here happens to like it. A lot, actually." Diego countered, shoving a hand in Kat's back pocket.

"Please forget I ever told you that." Kat said quietly into his shoulder.

"Etched into the data bank, babycakes."

"And we're done." Patch said awkwardly.

"Yeah, well, you go fill out your forms while we go hunt these animals down." Diego scoffed.

"And for the record, Detective, we do give a shit. Probably more than you know. So do me a favor and lay off him, ok? He is just trying to do everything you guys should be doing in the first place." Kat said sternly.

Patch was momentarily taken aback, but nodded as she watched them walk away.

Diego looked down at Kat as they exited the scene, smiling like a fool. "God, I'm lucky." He said as he kissed the top of her head.

She smiled and leaned into his side. "Nah. I am."