The End of the Table

It was Monday, and the beginning of your work week. You were greeted in the morning with a nice cup of coffee in your cubicle.

The sticky note next to it revealed it was Jean.

For the majority of the day, you felt fine. You shared a couple of laughs with your coworkers. You got a lot of work done. You didn't feel stressed, and the thought of freedom started to taste sweet.

Not once did he cross your mind.

That was until you clocked out for the night.

Jean waited for you, and offered to walk you to your car. Though he was a young a naive kid, you gave him credit for being so sweet and persistent.

On the way down the hall, you spotted Levi locking the door to his office.

You would have liked if he looked like a mess, but he was not. He wasn't at all. He even looked better than usual.

Dressed in a fine cut suit, the man you once came home to stood like a stranger.

Your throat swelled up and your heart began to drown in your stomach.

Levi fiddled with his keys and turned to see you.

His eyes widened at the sight of you.

You stood for a minute, just staring at each other.

Your emotions over came you and you walked the other way. Tears streamed down your face, and the immense anger and despair swept over you.

Jean locked eyes with Levi after you walked away.

Levi still loved you, and he cared about you. But, he knew that he would never get to have you again.

Jean caught up with you in the parking garage. You were storming to your car, and trying to push away your emotions. However, you couldn't.

In between the cries your lungs gasped for anything they could hold.

When you couldn't unlock your car, you became frustrated and threw your keys. You put your elbows on the top of your car and cried.

Jean slowly picked up your keys and made his way to you.

"Hey..." He tried to comfort you.

You wiped away your tears in anger. You were mad that you were crying, you were mad that he hurt you, and you were mad that you still loved him just as much as before.

"I don't care Jean! I just want to go home!" You yelled through your tears.

You didn't mean to yell at him, but you did it out of frustration.

He walked up beside you and pulled your face toward him.

"It's going to be okay. I'm here. I care." His voice was soft.

You stared at him for a moment and gave in. You grabbed onto him and cried for what felt like hours.

He only held you and waited for you to be okay.

You knew then that he really cared about you.

After a while you were able to calm down. You pulled away from Jean and unlocked your car.

You went home to Hanji's and spent the night talking about what had transpired.

Levi, however, wandered into the office that you two had met for the first time.

It overwhelmed his senses and it only felt like yesterday that he held you in his arms.

He realized his faults months ago. He had come to accept what he had done to you two.

What he didn't realize is how much he had hurt you, and in turn, how much he had ruined his life.

He fell asleep at the end of the table in that very conference room.