Chapter 7.5: Facing the Music

Sunday Afternoon.

"Hey Tyler, your friend is here!" My mom yells to me upstairs.

I go down to see that the friend downstairs was Gretchen herself. With her Truck parked in the front of our home.

"Mom, can you give us a minute?"

"Sure. I'll be in the kitchen".

"Thanks, mama"

"Bye, Mrs. Wilson" Gretchen says to my mother.

"Hey."

"Hey Tyler, can we go to the treehouse?"

"Sure, what the hell?"

While walking back there, I say

"I'm surprised you remember this place, Gretch."

"Me too. Why weren't you answering my calls? I was so worried."

"Why did you come over here if you had Jason to worry about? You did tend to him first after our fight."

"True only because I feared that you'd kill him. I know how strong my best friend is."

"You don't know half of my strength. In fact I have gotten much stronger since my suspension. Next time, I will send him to a hospital."

"Don't Tyler, I don't want you in any more trouble. For a second I thought you hated me after that. I needed to be here to clarify."

"Clarify what? Of course I don't hate you. I could never hate you!"

"If it makes it any better. I'm done with Jason, he keeps leading me on and fucking around. He isn't what I want. To be honest."

"Speaking of being honest, there something that I have been wanting to say to you for a long while." As we climbed the rungs to the tree house.

"What is it Tyler? I'm your best friend remember?"

All I could think about was what my father said to me about not letting my things left unsaid consume me. And then my brother Russell who spoke to me about having that one moment where my fears will shrink and she would be waiting to hear me say what I feel. If this moment wasn't it, I didn't know what was. The time was now! We had climbed to the top of the tree house and sat in the doorway.  Those Butterflies in my stomach formed as I said,

"Gretchen"

She looked at me with her pretty brown eyes.

"I love you." The butterflies flew out of me as I said

"You what?"

"I do. I'm sorry but I love you more than anyone has ever loved. I love you. I love you. I love you!"

Her eyes widened and she gave off a shocking look on her face. How was that for letting it all hang for more than 10 years!?

"Tyler."

"What is it?"

"We can no longer be friends."

"What!? Why!?" I say dumbfoundedly

"Because, I wanna be a whole lot more than just your friend, Tyler. You're always there for me. Since day one, and I'm tired of letting the ones I love down by being two-faced. It's time a break free and be a butterfly. Your butterfly."

My eyes widen as my mouth opens with excitement.

She says, "That's right, Ty. I love you too."

"How do I know for sure?"

She touches my hand and inches closer and I do the same and then like magic, we end up sharing a passionate kiss.

My brother Russell yelled up, "That's my little brother!"

"Russell, do you mind?" We both say.

"Sorry, carry on you lovebirds." He says as he gets back in the house.

"Does this mean that you and I are....?" I ask Gretchen.

"I want us to be whatever you want us to be."

"Well, I want us to be an us with no ifs ands or buts. And I want you to promise that you'll stay that same butterfly I always knew you were. Even at school."

"For us, that is a promise I can definitely keep. As long as you stay the same."

"I promise Gretch. My 3/14/04"

"I promise, too My 3/14/04"

We kiss on it again. Then we head down to her car. Her parents would only let her use it on weekends. It was her mom's gray Escalade. Then it hit me.

"How's about taking my new girlfriend to the Spring Fling sound to you?" I ask Gretchen.

"Wouldn't have my Spring Fling any other way, baby." She says back giving me them eyes.

I kiss her as she gets in her ride she says.

"Can you pick me up tomorrow baby?"

"Most definitely, I call you when I'm en route."

"Great. I'll see you tomorrow, hon."

She drives off. I couldn't help but go into the backyard and scream out, "GREATEST FUCKING DAY OF MY LIFE! YEAHHHH!" I go inside and I saw my brother and we pounded  fists. My mother and father was more than ecstatic when I told then what Gretchen and I have planned. Man the Spring Fling Couldn't have seemed any sweeter.