Chapter 5: The Talent Show

Come December, I had asked the school principal if it would be okay for my band to have a performance and let me have my own. Mr. Duvall let me go on with it as long as I did good up there.

I had also witnessed Gretchen's triggering but riveting speech about Caesar. Then I later overhead the conversation with Cady, Gretchen informs of her privilege of wearing golden hoop earrings being taken away from her by Regina. At that moment my disdain for Regina was cemented into hate. How could she have such total control over my best friend? Was it because fitting in in high school is hellacious. If there was anyone thar knew that it was me. I risked tardiness for this I'm so glad I wasn't late. As for Jeff, word got around the Cady liked Aaron and Jeff was frustrated for a minute or so but luckily he got over it before he did anything stupid. I was there for him every step of the way. Of course I didn't tell him about me already knowing where Cady's heart lied. Felt like it wasn't right. At least I'm between he got a decent study date from her. That was relishing.

The day came for us to perform.
Our performance was after Kevin Gnapoor's kick ass rap. It was a little inappropriate but yet enjoyable while Kevin was rapping. I feel a hand touch me, it was Gretchen.

"Hey you" I say to Gretchen as she goes to hug me

"I bet you aren't nervous." She says to me.

Me with my "Thriller" outfit says back to her. "I'm not actually no. This is just like 3 years ago."

She looks down laughs and blushes a bit, "I won't ever forget you singing PYT, and you were so looking at me the whole time."

"Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't. We don't know."

Gretchen hits me softly on the arm, "Lie again, Tyler."

"I'm like okay guilty as charged. So what's up?"

"I need you to take me home tonight, Tyler."

"Okay, won't Jason your dream guy get mad?"

"He is not my dream guy, he doesn't own me. He won't get mad. You not jealous are you?"

"Why would I be? You are my best friend, remember? So why do you need me to drive to rural Evanston?"

"It's Regina, I've tried so hard to be close to her and it looks like I'm driving her mad. It's driving me mad."

"You're cute when you're mad" I say under my breath.

"What was that?"Gretchen asked.

"Nothing". I say while blushing

Jess taps me and says, "Dude we're on in 30 secs, need you now."

I say, "I'll be right there. We'll talk later when I drive you Gretchen. Wish me luck." I say as Jess walks onto the stage with Jeff and I.

The principal introduced us wrong as Peroxwhy?gen when it's pronounced Per-oxy-gen. We get on and bust out Resurrection after weeks and weeks of grueling rehearsing. Jess had the guitar, I had the percussion, Jeff had the vocals. And man were we killer.

♪One more shot
And then I'm over and out
Gonna show the non-believers what I'm talking about
(One more shot)
And then I'm under and gone
Gonna show the non-believers they are nothing but wrong♪

[Bridge: Jeff Hardy]
♪One more way to make it easy for you
Know I'm gonna make it rough until the end
One less way I have to do this for you
Nothing's gonna bring me around the bend
One more way to get the message across now
I gotta do this on my own
One less way I've gotta prove this to you
One less way
Gone♪

[Chorus: Jeff Hardy]
♪I (One more shot) have been resurrected
One more shot
And then I'm over and out
I'm gonna show the non believers what I'm talking about
Ooh, I (One more shot) have been resurrected
One more shot and then I'm under and gone
I'm gonna show the non believers they are nothing but wrong
Until the day I die♪