Ten

“Taehyung? Taehyu...ng...Tae...hyung...T...a…e….h...y...u...n...g…”

The boy slowly opened his eyes, the soft beep of the heart monitor beside him. Wires and bandages and tubes all surrounded him.

Baekhyun’s breath hitched when he saw the boy’s eyes opening. He rushed to the boy’s side, tears already glistening in his eyes. “Oh god! Taehyung!” He cried out. The said boy slowly turned his head in pain, gazing at the crying man.

He tried to speak, but couldn’t. His eyes widened as he tried to open his mouth, say something.

Nothing.

There was no sound coming out…

“You’re okay, please calm down…” A new voice gently prodded. Taehyung turned to find a man dressed in a white lab coat standing there, beside the bed. Taehyung’s eyes were wide, but he managed to balance out his breathing.

When he was finally calm, the doctor looked down at his clipboard. “Do you remember anything that happened, Taehyung?”

Taehyung slowly closed his eyes, swallowing, even though it was a bit painful. He nodded slowly.

“I am very sorry for your loss.” The doctor said. “There are law enforcement representatives here to question you after I have finished briefing you, is that alright or would you like me to call them back another day?”

Taehyung pauses, but slowly shook his head, letting the doctor know that he could talk to them...well…

“Yes, right. You may be unable to speak for awhile or…” the doctor trailed off. He sighed, looking sympathetically at the boy. “I’m sorry, Mr. Kim, your vocal cords were severely cut, even if you are able to speak again, singing is very much off the table.”

Taehyung didn’t even flinch.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. “W-What?” He said breathlessly. “But what about his debut!?”

“If Mr. Kim attempts to sing for more than about four minutes after extensive training and voice therapy, his wounds on the vocal cords will have a ninety six percent chance of reopening and rendering him completely mute.” Baekhyun stared straight ahead, not believing it.

The doctor sighed. “I am afraid that that is not all.” He flipped the page on his clipboard. “Your knee was...without all the medical jargon, your knee was shot straight through and completely shattered. It will take a while, probably three to four months to completely heal, and then extensive physical therapy is recommended to be able to walk properly.”

There was silence. Baekhyun has stopped crying before, but now, more silent tears streamed down his face as he began to feel crushed. Crushed for the silent, unmoving boy on the bed, who’s face was completely blank.

“Also—“

“There’s more!?” Baekhyun said, standing.

“Mr. Byun, I am afraid that I will have to ask you to step out for this one.”

“W-What?”

“Please do so.” Baekhyun slowly made his way out of the room, and the doctor turned to Taehyung again. “There was quite a bit of ripping, Mr. Kim, in your lower extremities. Now, please feel free to not reply, but were you perhaps assaulted sexually?”

Taehyung nodded slowly.

“By more than one person?”

Again, he nodded.

“Therapy will be recommended, after you are released. A mandatory session will be scheduled before you are able to be discharged however. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to call for a nurse, using the button beside the bed. A nurse will come in and check on you every hour, administer medication if you are in too much pain, Alright?”

Taehyung did nothing but nod. “The detective will come in, shortly. There is a pen and paper beside you so that you may communicate.” Taehyung offered the man a small smile, like he’d just been here for a sprained ankle or something minor.

It raised a few red flags in the doctor’s mind, but he chose to not say anything, simply tell the nurses on rotation to watch him a little extra closely.

Taehyung waited and a few minutes later, two men entered the room. “Good evening, Mr. Kim. I am Detective Soo, and this is my partner, Detective Jun. Are you comfortable answering a few questions for us?” Taehyung nodded slowly.

“Before that, we would like to ask. Do you know someone by the name of Jeon Jungkook?”

Taehyung nodded, grabbing his paper.

He’s my boyfriend. Did he talk to you? Is he here? I’d like to see him.

Taehyung wrote out.

The detectives glanced at one another. The one named Soo cleared his throat and walked towards the bed. “This was left for you, Mr. Kim.” He said slowly.

Taehyung looked down at the note that was handed to him, his head tilted as he studied it.

He slowly unfolded the note, reading it slowly. His eyes widened and he blinked rapidly, reading it again.

Hello Taehyung. I hate to do this, and I don’t want to do this through writing, but I don’t think I can face you and say this to your face. But...I’m leaving. I’m breaking up with you and leaving the area for awhile. Please don’t look for me...and just...be happy. I can’t make you happy, and I know that I’m only holding you back from being the better you. So I’m leaving to go and become someone that you can be proud of.

Jungkook

Taehyung dropped the note, staring at nothing.

And suddenly, the floodgates opened.

He wasn’t fine.

He wasn’t okay.

He’d held it together. He’d been fine. His family was dead. He’d been raped. His life had been ruined, his dream stolen from him.

But he’d had his cuddle munchkins still. He’d had Jungkook, and he would’ve been alright.

Now…

Now he had nothing.

And it was at that moment…

That he shattered beyond all repair.