one.

London, 1970

London, 1970

Cursing under your breath, you rubbed at the top of your head, wincing and glaring the dropped box of biscuits near your feet. Sighing, you bent down and picked it up and placed it back on the shelf.

Looking at the clock at the far end of the store, above the cashier's desk, it was a little past the end of your shift and as much as you wanted to leave and go have a drink at your favorite pub, you had to finish stocking up the shelves first, not wanting to get an earful from your boss.

Even though you were studying design at uni, you still opted to get a job at the local grocery store, 'Fletcher's', where your only human interaction was with elderly women and on some nights, teenagers who are looking to get shit-faced.

Knowing that your family was already struggling, you felt guilty and you wanted to help pay for the tuition yourself. Plus, some extra purchases, of course.

A full thirty minutes later, you finally stepped the store, and ripped your work vest off and threw it somewhere in the tiny locker room for employees.

Not even bothering to say goodbye to your fellow co-workers, you just walked towards the nearby bus stop and sat down.

While waiting, you decided to pull out your small notebook and pencil, and began writing song ideas.

You brought this notebook with you everywhere. Whenever you thought of something nice or clever, you just pulled it out and wrote everything.

This had become a habit of yours, after your mother had left for some 'business trip' around the country.

You were only eight years old by then, and she told you to write anything you wanted to tell her on pieces of paper, and put it inside an old shoebox she gave.

She always had music playing around the house, the lyrics becoming stuck inside your head, so, you wrote literally everything from little letters for her to the same song lyrics over and over again.

Hearing the bus finally pull over, you put away your notebook and stepped inside to finally head home.

When you got home, you immediately ran up the stairs to your bedroom and changed out of your filthy clothing into a new outfit, it was an old sweater you've had for ages, but, it'll work.

Walking down the stairs, and past the small living room, where your cousin, Poppy, was watching something on the telly, you heard your aunt call, "Dinner is ready!"

"Oh, I'm not hungry, auntie," You said, as you walked towards the coat rack.

"Where are you going?" She questioned, fixing the plates on the dining table. After grabbing your coat, you looked at her, "Out with friends," You said, with a small smile.

"A boy?" She smirked, looking at you with a knowing smile. You let out a small laugh in response, "Oh, auntie."

As she faced you, she fixed the collar of your coat, "Look at you," She smiled, "Give your auntie a kiss."