Chapter 1: Saved

"-indescribable power."

"-is it possible?"

"-the only chance we have."

"-before his end."

Words echoed throughout my head and I shot up in my bed, staring around my room. Staring at the books strewn about the room and the mess of cords by my computer, I released a sigh of relief and flopped back down onto my mattress, covered in sweat.

I sat back up and groaned, knowing that I wasn't going to be comfortable on something that gross. I walked out of my room and yawned. It had to be at least five in the morning or something like that, I didn't check the time.

I pulled off into the bathroom and took care of my daily routine, changing into new clothes for school. I looked at myself in the mirror and brushed some of the tangles out of my hair. Once I decided my hair was serviceable, I left the bathroom and jumped down the stairs. The kitchen was less of a mess than my room.

With the counter in the middle of the room, I took the bowl of cereal my mom poured for me and read the note. Standard "Have a good day at school, I love you!" note she writes every time. After a while, it lost meaning.

She preferred to stay at work more often than actually being at home. My father divorced her a couple of years ago, but she kept the house. She didn't realize how difficult it would be with all the memories within the walls.

I finished off the remaining cereal by pouring milk in and scarfing it all down. I placed the bowl in the sink, which was clean thanks to me last night. I exited the house, the smell of freshly cut grass gracing my nose. I locked the front door behind me and ran to my car, an old Malibu, and drove off to finish another senior high school day.

A typical day went as follows: I entered the school listening to music, took it off for class, walked through the halls with my music again, repeated step two and three repeatedly unless a friend was around or it was lunch. I wasn't completely cut off of society.

But today just wasn't my day. My group of friends were part of band and they had a football game to go and play at. I sat alone with my headphones in. No one bothered me and I didn't mind. I was always a bit of a lone wolf in my thoughts. It sounds loserish, but what can you do.

After the last school bell rang, I casually strolled outside the school. It was connected to a side road off of the main road. It wasn't usually busy, but today was once again not my day.

"Tyler! Tyler!" Someone shouted, their voice over my music. I spun around to face a familiar face.

"Kara? What are you doing here? You don't go here, right?" I asked, pulling my earphones out.

"No, but my little brother does!" She smiled. "You know Tommy, right?"

"Is he a sophomore?"

"Close. He's a junior." She crossed her arms.

"Oh. Well, it's been a while. I didn't even know he goes here." I weakly chuckled.

"Of course you don't! You're always walking around with those in." She playfully pushed my shoulder, her long brown hair falling over her arm as she did. "There he is! Let's go." She said, waving Tommy over. "I'll see you later!" She said, walking backwards without looking.

Looking to the left, a car tore down the street in her direction. "Kara!" I shouted, running into the street after her. She turned to see and the car slammed on the brakes, but not soon enough. One split second decision. One way to save her.

I threw myself at her and spun her around, pushing her out of the way. The world around me didn't turn black. Instead, blue filled my vision. I closed my eyes as my body fell. I wasn't sure what to expect when I died, nor did I expect to die so soon.