Chapter 5: Training

"I thought we'd be training in the summoning circle." I said, spinning around as I studied the grounds around me. Right in the castle's backyard was their training ground, which made enough sense to me.

They also had to train their army as well. There were a few soldiers swinging weapons and firing arrows at targets, but a few had their eyes on us. And by us, I mean the princess, Estelle, a hellhound, Anastasia, and a strange dude in saggy clothing, or me.

"That's really only for me." Estelle sighed, taking off her golden earrings. "It allows me to summon a specific person instead of some random version of the person in my vision."

"Are you saying that I'll be able to visualize who I wanna summon in my head?" I asked, stretching my arms. I wasn't sure what I was going to be doing. Anastasia was sitting outside the training grounds, her head turned in my direction.

Probably amused somewhat.

"Is that not how you summoned your hellhound?" She asked. "We got some work to do then..." She sighed. Estelle moved her hand to the back of her head and clipped her hair, keeping it in place.

With a wave over her hand over her clothing and a flash of light, she was now dressed in a skirt and a skintight top. "That was a simple summon. I'll teach you that sooner or later, but for now, we need to make sure you can fight. Ever held a sword?" She asked, waving her hand to two knights.

"I can't say I have..." I grunted. "I don't think I'd be very good with a sword."

"Then we have time to improve." She said, throwing the sword. It dug into the ground in front of my feet and I took a step back out of fear. I didn't want to lose my toes just yet... or ever. Never sounds fine.

I picked up the short sword and swung it around with one hand, unsure of how to handle the weapon correctly. "You're completely inexperienced?" Estelle groaned, watching me. I stopped mid-swing and tried to hold the best poker face.

"Last I remember, I never had to hack a person to death with a sharp piece of metal." I replied with a slight smile.

"What a bother." Estelle walked over to me. "Have you ever fired a bow?"

"I've fired a crossbow." I answered.

"A crossbow? Like a bow in the shape of a cross?" Estelle asked.

"Oh boy." I chuckled. "Maybe I should try summoning that sooner or later. It would be better than introducing guns, since it still fires arrows."

"Maybe we should just focus on summoning for now then." Estelle sighed, staring up at the sky in frustration. She turned her attention back to me and squinted, her green eyes focusing examining me. "Do you remember how you summoned Anastasia?"

"Not exactly. Everything sort of happened in the moment. Anastasia, come here." I called and she stood up, bounding over to me. She planted herself down by my side. "When I summoned her, everything happened so fast. My hands moved by themselves and there she was." I said, scratching behind her left ear. Anastasia happily sighed.

"Is there any way you think you could replicate what you did? It would be extremely beneficial." Estelle asked, crossing her arms.

I looked down at Anastasia and she looked up at me. "I don't think I can." I deeply sighed, now staring Estelle in the eyes.

"Tyler, if you could do this, you might be able to spark a little fire inside of the other Summoners. I have to act like I don't feel dread each time I summon someone... but it tears me up inside. They may act like they don't care, but each one has watched the other when they've first been summoned. The three Summoners are watching us now." She tried motivating me.