SIX

Lya was approaching seventeen. It was her nameday soon. For nearly two years, she had experienced uninterrupted bliss with Niklaus. They snuck away to be with each other every chance they got and they shared glances with each other throughout the village. They had gotten more bold, spending more and more time together during the day.

       This was one of those days.

       "You shouldn't be wielding this," Niklaus cautioned.

       "I will decide what I can wield and not wield," Lya said, challenging him with her stare. "Are you going to refuse me?"

      Niklaus was teaching her to shoot a bow. They were out in the forest where no one would be able to find them. His arm had gotten quite comfortable wrapped around her waist as he stood behind her.

      Niklaus shook his head, "I can never refuse you."

      Lya hummed, smiling, as she turned her head towards the target that was pinned to a tree and she took aim, pulling back the string. The hand that wasn't wrapped around her waist touched her lower back, a finger trailing up her spine which made her gasp and straighten her back.

       Niklaus chuckled at her reaction, "Keep your back straight."

      His hand left her back to tap her elbow, "Pull the string all the way back."

      She followed his instructions and it made her arm feel taut and it put the bow closer to her face. The string touched her nose and her lips with her index finger that pulled the string just under her chin.

      "Now relax..." his breath tickled her neck which made her feel anything but relaxed. "...and release."

      She took a deep breath and she let the arrow fly towards the target. The arrow flew through the air quickly and landed on the target, the very outside rung. Even though it wasn't the center of the target, she was happy.

      She smiled widely, "I did not miss."

      "No. You did not," he smiled proudly and before he could do anything, Lya dropped the bow and turned in his arms. She grabbed his cheeks, tilting his face down so her lips could meet his.

     She kissed him softly, her lips molding with his in a slow rhythm. She pulled her lips away from him shortly after. He leaned his forehead against hers and even though it was a short kiss, his breaths came out quickly.

     "What was that for?" he asked.

      "Am I to not share in my success with you?" Lya questioned.

      Niklaus quickly shook his head, "I have no quarrel with your...sharing."

      "I thought not," she smiled knowingly and kissed him again.

      __________

     The next day she was washing clothes in the river with Rebekah. It was a beautiful day and it seemed that everyone was lounging about in the wide open meadow that surrounded the river. Niklaus was with his brothers and they kept stealing glances with each other.

      "You two could not be more obvious," Rebekah stated.

     "I do not know what you are talking about," Lya responded and Rebekah rolled her eyes.

      "Nik talks about you all the time when Father isn't around," Rebekah said. "He sounds like a mad man when he talks about you. He's obsessed is what he is...and annoying."

       Lya giggled as she dipped a piece of clothing in the river. Just as she took the clothing out, she caught Niklaus's gaze and everything else faded. She didn't realize she had whipped the clothing out of the river and the dripping water went flying onto Rebekah, soaking her face and part of her dress.