EIGHT

Forever was an awfully long time. Yet the idea of forever was a blessing in her mind. For her, forever was the years of her human life and the rest of her forever would be spent with the one she loved the most. Nothing had ever made her so happy.

Her mouth formed a smile as soon as she woke up that morning after the news. She still felt the way his lips had stained her skin last night when she snuck out to find him beneath the large canopy of their tree. He had been told as well and let's just say their happiness forged courage in their hearts to do what they had never done before.

     She got up slowly as her thighs ached and she sat down on a stool that was next to a small table. She grabbed a comb made of bone and untangled the knots in her hair before forming braids in her hair. This time she made many braids on the side of her head before tucking the sunflower Nik gave her into the braids.

She went to help her mother make breakfast and she came into the kitchen as her mother turned to look at her. She had an alarmed look on her face as she looked at Lya and Lya stopped in her tracks.

Before she could ask what was wrong, her mother spoke, "What are you thinking, child? Cover those up before your father sees."

Lya furrowed her eyebrows and her mother huffed, coming quickly over to her daughter and moving her hair to fall over her shoulders and down her chest; therefore, covering the sides of her neck. Her mother grabbed some polished metal and handed it to her.

Lya took it and lifted her hair slightly to see in the reflection that the side of her neck was covered in bruises. Lya let her hair fall quickly and her eyes widened as her cheeks turned so red that her mother thought all the blood in her daughter's body had gathered there.

"I trust he was gentle with you," her mother assumed.

"Gentle is not the word I would use to describe the process," Lya said before getting a far off look in her eyes as she smiled. "But he was sweet."

Her mother rolled her eyes and gave Lya a warning look, "You will be betrothed, Lya, but you are not yet. Do not get ahead of yourself. You know what everyone would think if something were to happen out of wedlock."

"But that does not matter, Mother," Lya smiled and thought like a naive girl. "Nik loves me and we will be together forever."

And forever they were cursed to be.

    __________

     Lya saw Niklaus later that day. She had finished her chores and went looking for her betrothed. He was sparring with Elijah and the moment he saw her, a wide smile appeared on his face and his brain went slack, allowing Elijah to knock his sword right out of his hand.

Niklaus didn't even care. He left the sparring match without saying a word and jogged over to her. Before she could even say anything Niklaus pulled her in for a kiss, one she happily returned.

It was a blessing to be able to kiss him in public now. Nearly whole village knew of their betrothal by now she guessed. When he pulled away, she had the widest smile on her face and Klaus ran his thumb across her cheek gently before he asked, "Are you...well?"

A light blush coated Niklaus's cheeks and a blush coated hers as well with his question. "Yes," she answered shyly before pecking him on the lips as Elijah came up to them.

       "I hear you are joining the family," Elijah spoke and the lovebirds turned their attention to him. "Now I know I will always beat my brother in a duel; he will be too distracted to ever win."

       "Shut up," Niklaus shoved his teasing brother as Lya giggled.

       Niklaus grabbed her hand and dragged her away from his older brother, not wanting to be teased any longer or again. Lya still giggled a bit before becoming serious as they walked through the village.

        "Nik," she peered up at him. "Do I really distract you so?"

        Niklaus looked down at her, surprised that she didn't know, and pulled her closer to his side as he smiled, "Lya, you are always on my mind. Of course you do."

       _________

        It had been a whole year. Wedding rituals took time as they only took place on one day in the week, Friday, as that was the sacred day for the goddess, Frigga. Niklaus and Lya were set to be betrothed a month from now.

Right now, it was Yule. A celebration that lasted for more than a week. It was to celebrate the rebirth of the sun and the renewal of light in the universe. It ended with the burning a Yule log. And it was the last day of the celebration. A huge fire was raging as the Yule log burned and everyone danced around it.

Well, everyone except Niklaus and Lya.

There was a new longhouse being built for the two of them. It was near completion as all it needed was a roof. Lya was seated on the edge of a table with her legs spread and her dress hiked up. Niklaus was between her legs and his lips were attached to her neck as they both neared euphoria due to their activity.

Lya wasn't worried about getting pregnant because she already was. She had it confirmed a few weeks ago and the thought of their child filled her with joy; she was already imagining a mini-Niklaus running around. She was so happy and she couldn't wait to tell Nik; she wanted to wait until the chance of miscarriage was low to tell him. When she told him, they would be even happier than they already were.