Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

RECAP:

“I’m so sorry,” she said.

“Don’t worry it’s just a top, its fine-“

“No, not the top. I’m talking about everything. Seeing you and Jason look at Lizzy the way I used to look at you really reminded me how much of your lives I missed. I missed you during your most important time of life, the time when you were changing and then at the same time I left you with Lizzy, to take care of her. I didn’t even think about the effect it would have on you all. I am so sorry,” she said for a second time.

“Mum, what’s done is done. Nothing can change the past and now, because you weren’t there for Jason and me you need to be there for Lizzy. Have a new start, you can have a second chance at doing the right things, this time though, if something bad happens, push through, don’t drown yourself in the things that don’t matter. Okay?” I said.

“You have grown up to be such a beautiful young woman, do you know that? Your heart is so kind. I love you baby girl.” She said with a smile.

“I love you too mummy,” I returned the smile. “Now let’s go see Lizzy and tell her you’ll be staying tonight.”

We went into the room and both Jason and Lizzy looked up at us.

“Mummy! Kyra! You’re here, I thought you left me,” her voice happy but still weak sounding.

“Don’t worry baby, I’ll never leave you again,” mum said hugging Elizabeth and smiling a watery smile.

***********

Seconds turned into minutes.

Minutes turned into hours.

Hours turned into days.

During this time two thoughts clouded my mind, stopping me from sleeping, stopping me from feeling much other than worry.

She's getting better.

She's getting worse.

Each one giving off different feelings. One minute I have hope and I feel like everything will return to the way it was and be better, then the next minute, it’s like someone flipped a switch and I become numb again.

The doctors say she’s getting better but watching her day after day in the hospital bed not looking any healthier, still fragile and weak, it tears my heart apart.

Both of my friends have been incredible. Their parents, who are extremely amazing, offer to cook for us, they offer any help they can and have checked up every day if we are okay whether it be by text or stopping by our house at night.

At promised both Anna and Lauren have bought homework and notes from classes missed and whilst Lizzy is sleeping I go over notes and do the homework.

As well as bringing me school work, the girls have also come over at night when they know I am home from the hospital usually adorning gifts and by gifts I mean food.

Anna brings in three large pizzas for us and Lauren follows up with two jars of Nutella. ‘Happy food’ they claimed. They always knew how to cheer me up, even at the worst times.

As soon as they left though I fell back into what seemed to be a usual routine.

Bath.

Go to bed without sleeping for a few hours.

Thinking.

Sleep for about four hours.

Wake up and think some more.