Finishing Crazy (28)

Everything stressful about racing in the Ironman hit me all at once. When I went back to school on Monday, my ambition had finally entered the rumor mill. Up until then, it had been kept quiet- and that was the way I wanted it. No one outside of Bryan, Mariah and my family knew about my cancer and the race that I was aspiring to get more in shape for.

I don’t know how it got out, but now that it has, it’s all that people seem to care about. I know that it will eventually pass, but living through it right now is driving me insane.

Today, Wednesday, has been simply awful. No one knows about my cancer, but they do know about my over-ambitious goals, and they’re all going to great lengths to let me know how much they don’t want me to do it, and how I’m not going to make it, so I may as well spend my time doing something else.

If only they knew.

“Kyra,” the girl sitting next to me calls my name quietly to get my attention.

“Yes?” I respond, already knowing what’s coming out of her mouth before she says it.

“Are you really going to race in-” She begins, but I cut her off, not wanting to hear the reprimands that I’m seconds away from getting.

“Yes.” I snap irritably. “I’m going to race in the Ironman. I’ve been training for months and months for it, and there’s no way I’m backing out now. I know that everyone wants me to “use my time more wisely” but I don’t care what everyone else wants, because this is what I want and it’s what I’ve worked for. I don’t know why people are getting so worked up about this, because it doesn’t affect you. I’m not going to throw away all the training I’ve done for something else. That’s beyond stupid. So, if you don’t mind, I would greatly appreciate you and all of your friends and everyone else leaving me alone about it.” I finish, leaving her open-mouthed and stunned.

Maybe that was a little harsh.

But honestly, I’m so far away from caring that I don’t feel guilty about it. Besides, I already knew that girl’s intentions. She sits at the table next to me during lunch, and yesterday she and all of her friends were laughing about it.

I don’t know why it’s such a joke to them. I mean, doesn’t anyone else at this school have goals?

The bell rings and I pack all of my papers into my backpack. Today is a block schedule testing day, because some new state mandated testing has come out and we all have to test together. Since Bryan and I have last names that start with the same letter, we’ll be in the same room.

I look at my paper print-out testing schedule. Next is my social studies testing. I took the class ahead of time, online over the summer, so I don’t remember much from it.

It should be interesting to see whether or not I can pass this test.

Not that it matters, I guess. It’s not like it’s for a grade anyways.

I file in and find a seat next to the wall in the back. I’d rather not be noticed by anymore naysayers today, and Bryan should know to look for me in a place where I’m less noticeable. After about five minutes of waiting, a blonde boy slides into the seat next to me.

“Hey.” He says, and I can’t help but smile when I see him.

“Hey.” I reply, shifting in my desk slightly to face him.

“How has your day been?” Bryan asks me, pulling out a pile of what I can only assume are social studies papers from his backpack.

I ruffle my hair back and try not to look too down. “I’m hanging in there.” I tell him, which is about the best I can do without lying.