Chapter 9

Mae's shoulders dropped when she saw Clay and Tig darkening her door again. She pursed her lips and glared at them through the tiny crack she'd allowed the door to open. She was supposed to be meeting Darby in a few hours and now these two were turning up.

"What?" She didn't move, they weren't coming in, not this time. "I have shit to do." Projecting confidence was exhausting her already, Mae's eyes fell to her feet.

With a firm hand on the door Clay smiled at her, it had the exact opposite effect on Mae compared to Gemma. She couldn't close the door now, all his weight was keeping it open no matter how hard she tried.

"What do you have planned?" He asked as Tig hovered around behind him. "Opie's pulling some OT, doubt it'll be with him."

"It's not Opie I have to meet." The look of intrigue that colored their faces made her panic. "Friends from work," she lied.

"Guess those friends don't know you're smuggling pharmaceuticals to a known Neo-Nazi, meth cook and dealer."

Mae relented and opened he door further. "Get in." At least now her neighbors wouldn't see the exchange. "I'm not helping you. Darby'll go insane."

He was already going to, they hadn't met since the incident on Water road. As if that wasn't bad enough Zobelle was now upping his stress level as well.

"You won't have to worry about him." Tig said as he pointed to an oil stained bandana that, undoubtedly, belonged to Opie. "This guy'll watch your back." He picked it up and waved it at her.

"I don't want Opie involved in this." She said firmly. "Look, I don't know what the hell you think you can do or how I can help but I'm not."

"You asked us," Clay leaned back and made himself comfortable on her sofa. "Who we are the last time we spoke."

"I never did get a straight answer."

"I'll give you one." An edited and very vague answer, but it was something. "We keep that shit out of Charming." His tone and attitude was instantly dark and terrifying. "Darby is a scumbag that we've worked very hard to push out."

Mae's breath caught in her throat. "Look," she stuttered. "I'm sorry but I don't know anything."

"Then you find out."

"He doesn't tell me shit." She shook her head. "He wasn't very trusting before and now after the last time we met it'll be worse. He was so suspicious."

It was already discussed, Tig would follow Mae to meet Darby whether she liked and knew it or not. After the meeting they'd had it was a necessity. He'd either have to keep her safe or just find the information Mae wouldn't give up.

"We aren't just mechanics and Harley enthusiasts," Clay admitted.

"I'm starting to get that." Mae chewed on her lip. "Opie too?"

"This has nothing to do with Ope. This is us, telling you, whatever Darby is holding over your head, is gone now."

Mae had traded one devil for another and now she had these guys offering to be a savior? She didn't trust it. Sticking with the devil she knew seemed safer. Opie was nothing like these two, she trusted him but no one else.

"I think I'll just ride it out." Her eyes settled on the door. "You should go."

"How do you think the school board would feel about your...extracurricular activities?" Tig asked, his voice was low and menacing but there was a devilish grin playing on his lips. "Not sure the good people of Charming would be thrilled either."

"Little Bobby and Susie around a junkie and a mule, that won't ever go down well." Clay asked with feigned shock. "You'd lose the life you've tried so hard to secure."