Chapter 5: Decisions

Part 5

The sun began to set several long minutes later, casting shadows over the clearing where Tommy and Kimberly still stood wrapped in each other's arms. They weren't speaking, seeming loathe to break the silence now that they'd taken that first step.

But, as with all things, that comfortable silence couldn't last.

Kimberly finally stepped out of Tommy's arms and away, lifting her gaze to his face as she did so. His arms fell back to his sides as he stared at her. She searched for some kind of shift in his posture, something to indicate that they could move forward. Something to indicate that if she opened her mouth to speak she wasn't about to get her head ripped off again. His gaze was guarded, giving nothing away, and couldn't have screamed "I don't trust you" more even if he'd said it. Despite the mile stone they'd just hit, Kimberly knew that a discussion and a hug were but baby steps to repairing the damage she'd done - if it could be done at all.

"Can I ask you a question, Tommy?"

He nodded, not speaking, and she wondered if he was as choked up as she felt.

She folded her hands together, wishing she dared touch him again. "Do you think we can talk about this like rational adults now? There's more to be said-"

He arched his eyebrows and she stopped. "More, Kim? What more could you have to say to me? I have the answers I need. They're not the ones I expected or wanted to hear, but I appreciate your honesty - now anyway."

"Tommy, I-"

"Stop." He held his hand up. "Just stop. You've done enough, Kim. Let's take you home; you've given me a lot to think about."

She nodded, turning her face away. She shouldn't have expected more. What had she expected? That'd he'd tell her all was forgiven after almost thirty minutes of screaming at one another? That he'd ask her to reconsider her choices now that everything was laid out - as it should have been before - between them? That he'd take her in his arms and kiss her? She didn't know what she'd expected, but Tommy asking for his space hadn't been it.

"If that's what you need. There's just one other problem we need to talk about before I leave."

"I think we've said enough for one night."

"The Pink Ranger powers, Tommy." She took a deep breath, gathering the shreds of her courage and meeting his gaze head-on once more. "What do you think we should do about them?"

The question was like a low blow after their previous screaming match, but she couldn't pull this punch. If he didn't want her taking them back, she wouldn't. The cohesiveness of the team depended on being able to trust one another, to rely on each other. Without it, the Power Rangers would be vulnerable to a myriad of strategies. Tommy simply stared at her, his thoughts hidden completely behind a neutral façade. It was one she recognized well; one that indicated he was thinking it through. She waited patiently, knowing he'd answer her once his thoughts were organized.

He finally spoke. "I think the Pink Ranger Powers are yours by right, Kim. It would be wrong for Katherine to give them to anyone else."

"Even if it means I may not be able to commit myself to this first?"

"You know as well as I do that the only reason Rita interfered was to try and remove you from the team - she succeeded but not in the way she'd hoped. I think Rita was intending to try and corrupt the pink powers the way she did the green. Katherine has tried, and she's done a good job as the Pink Ranger, but..." He stopped, his gaze intense for a few moments before looking away awkwardly.