Chapter 13: Discoveries

Part 13

Kimberly appeared in Kat's hospital room moments later and covered her mouth in surprise. Katherine was awake, sitting by the window, but Jason was standing behind her, his hands lightly massaging her back muscles. By the look on Katherine's face in her reflection, she wasn't just enjoying the contact; she was thriving under it.

Kimberly stood where she was, torn between announcing her presence to her friends and leaving them to their private moment - one she shouldn't have seen. But would Kat forgive her if she forewent her visit and simply returned to Florida? She chewed on the corner of one lip, looking away embarrassed when Jason ducked his head to say something softly to Kat, and escaped. A moment's inspiration struck her as she ducked towards the door. She was just out of sight when she made a knocking noise and then opened the door.

"You awake sleepy- oh!"

Jason had moved when Kimberly appeared, but not far; he was simply no longer touching Kat, the intimacy of the small moment having almost completely disappeared. Kimberly felt a twinge for having interrupted what appeared to be a budding romance between them, but she would have felt guiltier if she'd broken her promise to Kat.

"Hey Jason, I wasn't expecting you here at this hour." It wasn't entirely the truth but it made a good excuse. "Don't you ever spend any time at home anymore?"

Jason grinned. "Kat's not a big fan of hospitals so we're taking turns sitting with her during visiting hours."

Kimberly suspected Jason snuck in after hours and was taking more than his fair share of "turns" but she wasn't about to call him on it. She simply smiled. "You always had a weakness for the damsel in distress."

"It's a Ranger trait."

They shared a grin as Katherine held out her hand to Kimberly. Kimberly stepped forward and enveloped the blonde in a warm hug. "You're looking much better today, Kat."

"Thanks. The company helps remind me there's life beyond here. Hopefully I've healed enough for the casts to come off today."

"And to be discharged."

Katherine colored, though Kimberly didn't see what she had to be bashful about with Jason's statement, despite the mischievous tilt of his lips. She looked from one to the other, slightly confused. "Isn't that a good thing?"

"A very good thing." Jason's assurance caused Kat to blush a deeper shade of red.

Kimberly tilted her head curiously at the blonde, but addressed her words to Jason. "Mind giving us a few minutes? I have a couple of things I need to talk to Kat about."

"Something you can't talk to me about?"

She smiled, turning to look at him so it would take the sting out of her words. "I'll tell you later. Now shoo; you monopolize her enough when I'm not around!"

He didn't look at all bashful about it, simply grinned impudently. "I'll be in the hallway; holler if you need me."

Kimberly grinned as he disappeared, turning back to her still blushing friend. "Well, now that that's over with. You two looked awful cozy."

Katherine wouldn't meet her gaze. "He's been very... attentive."

"Hmm, attentive is it?" Kimberly couldn't resist teasing her. "His attention is good for you; it's nice to see you smiling."

"Surely you didn't come here just to talk about Jason."

"Nah," Kimberly dropped into a nearby chair facing Kat so she wouldn't have to move. "I can do that over the phone. I promised I'd drop by after I talked with Tommy, remember?"