Chapter 19: Decision Time

Part 19

Kimberly woke to the smell of antiseptic, the sound of monitors beeping and a dull ache in her side. She blinked, trying to focus, disoriented from the change of scenery though the logical part of her brain informed her she was getting care. The why and the how quickly followed as she realized she was in the hospital - again - only this time it wasn't a gymnastics related injury but a Rangers one. She stiffened as she suddenly became aware of another presence in the room. If it was Tommy, she was going to-

"I hear you make this a habit before competitions."

Kimberly let out a sigh of relief, a smile curving her lips. "Ali."

Ali smiled shyly. "I hope you don't mind. Coach is in a coma and one of the staff asked us to rotate through your room so you'd have a familiar face when you woke up. With coach out of commission and the gym needing repairs, it gives us something to do too."

Kimberly pushed herself up on her right arm and immediately hissed as the throbbing in her side turned into a sharp pain. She held up her hand as Ali jumped to her feet, gritting her teeth and willing the pain to subside. It did, but it took several anxious moments to do so.

"I should get the doctor."

"Ali."

She turned, barely a half-step from the door, a concerned look on her face. "Did you need something else, Kim?"

"Did anyone call my mother?"

Ali's smile was reassuring, though the look on her face seemed troubled. "We called the names in your contact file. Don't worry; they all know you're safe."

Kimberly frowned as the door closed behind the other gymnast. Contact numbers? Who else was listed besides her mother? Her father maybe? She shook the thought away, settling herself more comfortably on the bed and taking stock of her injuries.

Her side was sore, the throbbing having faded once the initial movement was complete. She made a face, knowing at that moment that her chances for participating in the Pan Globals had just been knocked down to next to non-existent. There was a slight pressure on her thigh and she peaked under the hospital gown and sheet to find a large bandage stuck to the area. Her arms and legs were bruised, purpling nicely and indicating that a day had passed at the very least, and her lower back was tight where the bruises from the last two fights had coalesced into one large section of pain. She shifted, trying to find a comfortable position, only to look up as the Doctor came in.

He smiled, honest eyes in a not-quite handsome face immediately setting her at ease. "Ali tells me you're not only awake but feeling somewhat better, Kimberly."

She nodded. "Somewhat. What's the damage Doc?"

"Jerry." His correction was accompanied with a quick peek at her chart. "I prefer if my patients call me Jerry. I find it keeps everyone on friendlier terms."

"Alright, Doctor Jerry." She returned his smile, willing to compromise. "So what's the damage?"

The Doctor sat on the chair Ali had vacated and flipped her chart closed, placing it in his lap. "Do you want the good news or the bad news first?"

"Bad." Her response was immediate. "Good news only makes the bad seem worse."

"Alright. The bad news is this; you've bruises to almost fifty percent of your body and there's a slash in your side that required twenty five stitches to close and they'll need to come out in just over a week."

"And the good news?"

"You can be discharged at any point once I've done my final evaluation; none of your injuries, except the blood loss, were of major concern. You've very lucky that building spar only grazed you. Any closer and you'd be missing parts of your innards."